Re: Section hiking the JMT

  • Bill <dive_hike@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2003
      Kathy,

      How many miles are you planning on hiking?

      There was a discussion last year (see posts 533-537) of possible JMT
      sections of 100 to 125 miles.

      A possible shorter hike would be from Yosemite Valley to Red's
      Meadows (just under 60 miles). Although this is the most populated
      section of the JMT (both people and bears), the logistics are easy.
      There is a shuttle bus from Red's (or the Postpile) to Mammoth ($8
      per adult). And then you can take the YARTS back to Yosemite
      Valley. Here is the YARTS site: http://www.yarts.com/schedule.html

      You can even "resupply" by leaving some of your food in a bear
      locker at Tuolumne! I did this in '98 and it made the climb out of
      the Valley a few pounds lighter.

      This hike is just under 60 miles and passes some incredibly
      beautiful lakes.

      Best Wishes,
      Bill

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy <wingding@e...>"
    • Loren <lmauch22@attbi.com>
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
        If you are looking for a shorter hike starting and ending on the West
        side, you might consider a loop starting a Edison lake and ending an
        Florence Lake. I have always had good luck catching a ride between
        this two lakes. Marie Lakes is a very nice lake basin. There is a
        seasonal ferry across both Edison and Florence lakes.

        On the East side you should consider Duck Pass to Bishop pass. This
        is a longer trip but covers lots of beautiful including Muir Pass.
        The trailheads are easily accessible.

        Let me know if you would like more info.