Re: Section hiking the JMT

  • Kathy <wingding@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2003
      Yes, I'd like to know which sections you liked best. I'd like to go
      in on the same side that I come out unless I start in Yosemite and
      take the shuttle bus from the Mammoth area.
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "mauch8 <lmauch22@a...>"

    • Bill <dive_hike@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 31, 2003
        Kathy,

        How many miles are you planning on hiking?

        There was a discussion last year (see posts 533-537) of possible JMT
        sections of 100 to 125 miles.

        A possible shorter hike would be from Yosemite Valley to Red's
        Meadows (just under 60 miles). Although this is the most populated
        section of the JMT (both people and bears), the logistics are easy.
        There is a shuttle bus from Red's (or the Postpile) to Mammoth ($8
        per adult). And then you can take the YARTS back to Yosemite
        Valley. Here is the YARTS site: http://www.yarts.com/schedule.html

        You can even "resupply" by leaving some of your food in a bear
        locker at Tuolumne! I did this in '98 and it made the climb out of
        the Valley a few pounds lighter.

        This hike is just under 60 miles and passes some incredibly
        beautiful lakes.

        Best Wishes,
        Bill

      • Loren <lmauch22@attbi.com>
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
          If you are looking for a shorter hike starting and ending on the West
          side, you might consider a loop starting a Edison lake and ending an
          Florence Lake. I have always had good luck catching a ride between
          this two lakes. Marie Lakes is a very nice lake basin. There is a
          seasonal ferry across both Edison and Florence lakes.

          On the East side you should consider Duck Pass to Bishop pass. This
          is a longer trip but covers lots of beautiful including Muir Pass.
          The trailheads are easily accessible.

          Let me know if you would like more info.