Section hiking the JMT

  • Kathy <wingding@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2003
      I ordered the Harrison Maps for the JMT to help figure out which
      section(s) of the trail I want to do this coming season. Is anyone
      else just doing a section of the JMT this summer?
    • mauch8 <lmauch22@attbi.com>
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 28, 2003
        I have hiked the entire JMT...both directions. I plan to spend a week
        or so on the JMT this summer. What section(s) are you interested in
        hiking? I can make some suggestions if you want to know my favorate
        areas.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy <wingding@e...>"
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 29, 2003
          Yes, I'd like to know which sections you liked best. I'd like to go
          in on the same side that I come out unless I start in Yosemite and
          take the shuttle bus from the Mammoth area.
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "mauch8 <lmauch22@a...>"

        • Bill <dive_hike@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 31, 2003
            Kathy,

            How many miles are you planning on hiking?

            There was a discussion last year (see posts 533-537) of possible JMT
            sections of 100 to 125 miles.

            A possible shorter hike would be from Yosemite Valley to Red's
            Meadows (just under 60 miles). Although this is the most populated
            section of the JMT (both people and bears), the logistics are easy.
            There is a shuttle bus from Red's (or the Postpile) to Mammoth ($8
            per adult). And then you can take the YARTS back to Yosemite
            Valley. Here is the YARTS site: http://www.yarts.com/schedule.html

            You can even "resupply" by leaving some of your food in a bear
            locker at Tuolumne! I did this in '98 and it made the climb out of
            the Valley a few pounds lighter.

            This hike is just under 60 miles and passes some incredibly
            beautiful lakes.

            Best Wishes,
            Bill

          • Loren <lmauch22@attbi.com>
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
              If you are looking for a shorter hike starting and ending on the West
              side, you might consider a loop starting a Edison lake and ending an
              Florence Lake. I have always had good luck catching a ride between
              this two lakes. Marie Lakes is a very nice lake basin. There is a
              seasonal ferry across both Edison and Florence lakes.

              On the East side you should consider Duck Pass to Bishop pass. This
              is a longer trip but covers lots of beautiful including Muir Pass.
              The trailheads are easily accessible.

              Let me know if you would like more info.