Re: Transportation

  • Bill <dive_hike@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 69 , Jan 12, 2003
      Alex,

      I'm hoping to hike the trail in late August or early Sept. I was
      planning on hiking the JMT last year, but I hurt my knee. Now I'm
      recovering from the surgery!

      I hiked the trail N->S in early Sept. '98 with a couple of friends
      (also an el Nino year). There was ice on the north side of several
      passes, especially the last few hundred yards of Forester. The
      Whitney summit was also capped in ice ... a little slippery in my
      trail shoes.

      For fun, here is an excellent site to check the snow pack for
      Tyndall Creek (just North of Forester Pass).
      http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/selectQuery?
      station_id=uty&sensor_num=&dur_code=M&start_date=1997&end_date=now
      If you click on "SNOW, WATER CONTENT(REVISED)" there is a nice daily
      table of snow depth. Right now there is about 16", but its very
      early. The time to check is in May (you can look back to compare
      for previous years and the el Nino winter of '97/'98).

      Have a great hike ... and feel free to email me
      (dive_hike@...).
      Best Regards, Bill

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, alexyera <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Thanks for all the great info!
      >
      > I was originally planning on early July but due to el Nino, it
      looks
      > like it'll be mid-August instead. You planning any trips?
      >
      > Alex.
      > http://www.thehiker.com

    • Kim Fishburn
      Message 69 of 69 , Mar 31
        I got my route wrong. It's the 42A and B bus. 42A goes from the Airport to downtown Sacramento. 42B goes the other direction. The bus makes a big loop connection Sacramento, Davis, Woodland and the airport.

        Kim

        On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 8:56 PM, Kim Fishburn <animalfarm99@...> wrote:
        The bus from Sacramento to the Airport is the Yolo 41 A or B bus. Ask the driver to make sure you have the right bus or you'll be going the long direction. Don't look for a city bus. It's a Yolo County bus.

        Kim

        On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 8:44 PM, groundhogsteve@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com > wrote:

        From RNO, take the ESTA bus to Lone Pine.  Others who are more familiar with the southern end will have to tell you how to get to Cottonwood from there.  Do note that the ESTA bus Reno to  Lone Pine only runs certain days of the week.

        From Yosemite Valley, you're right that YARTS 120 service over Tioga Pass will be done for the season by the time you get there.  So will the hiker buses.  In that case, take the YARTS bus to either Fresno (they stop right at the Fresno Airport) or to Merced and take Amtrak to Sacramento (then city bus to the Sacramento Airport, or Amtrak Thruway bus to Reno)  or take Amtrak to the Bay Area - you can get to Oakland and SFO fairly easily.

        If you want assistance with the details, send me an email groundhogsteve at yahoo spot com and I'd be glad to help you out.