Re: Transportation

  • Bill <dive_hike@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 59 , Jan 12, 2003
      Alex,

      I'm hoping to hike the trail in late August or early Sept. I was
      planning on hiking the JMT last year, but I hurt my knee. Now I'm
      recovering from the surgery!

      I hiked the trail N->S in early Sept. '98 with a couple of friends
      (also an el Nino year). There was ice on the north side of several
      passes, especially the last few hundred yards of Forester. The
      Whitney summit was also capped in ice ... a little slippery in my
      trail shoes.

      For fun, here is an excellent site to check the snow pack for
      Tyndall Creek (just North of Forester Pass).
      http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/selectQuery?
      station_id=uty&sensor_num=&dur_code=M&start_date=1997&end_date=now
      If you click on "SNOW, WATER CONTENT(REVISED)" there is a nice daily
      table of snow depth. Right now there is about 16", but its very
      early. The time to check is in May (you can look back to compare
      for previous years and the el Nino winter of '97/'98).

      Have a great hike ... and feel free to email me
      (dive_hike@...).
      Best Regards, Bill

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, alexyera <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Thanks for all the great info!
      >
      > I was originally planning on early July but due to el Nino, it
      looks
      > like it'll be mid-August instead. You planning any trips?
      >
      > Alex.
      > http://www.thehiker.com

    • Inga Aksamit
      Message 59 of 59 , Oct 10, 2014
        It sounds like Paul, of East Side Shuttle may be your best bet at this time of year. You could contact him and get a quote. I forget where you're end point is but if you leave your car in Mammoth (the town--maybe make a reservation at a motel for when you return and see if they'll let you leave your car) he could take you to TM, then pick you up at the end and deliver you back to Mammoth. We used Paul this summer and he was great, but of course costs more than all the public transportation options available in summer (which are not available now). It depends on your budget.

        Inga Aksamit
        Mobile: 415-470-1812
        Email: Iaksamit@...
        Twitter.com/IngaAksamit