Thoughts on Bishop vs. Independence for Resupply?

  • daharmattan1
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2009
      We are planning on picking up a package at Vermilion Valley Resort and then hiking out and hitching a ride to either Bishop or Independence for a final resupply. We will be mailing most of our supplies and don't need stores etc, but is one easier to get to/preferable than the other? I appreciate any feedback you guys might be able to give us!
    • Randy Forsland
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2009
        Well, Bishop pass is only a couple of days out of VVR. so i would go with Kearsarge Pass out to Independence. Both are about equal as far as getting a ride into town from the trailhead.

        I think kearsarge is the nicest hike though....

        Redwood

        We are planning on picking up a package at Vermilion Valley Resort and then hiking out and hitching a ride to either Bishop or Independence for a final resupply. We will be mailing most of our supplies and don't need stores etc, but is one easier to get to/preferable than the other? I appreciate any feedback you guys might be able to give us!

      • Peter Burke
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2009
          hiking out over Bishop Pass and back in will add a full day to your hike
          compared to Kearsarge Pass.

          Neither pass is right in the middle between VVR and Whitney, but Bishop.
          If you do Bishop Pass and hike back into Le Conte Canyon from there, you
          will have to carry almost as much weight over Bishop Pass as if you had
          just packed it all in at VVR. If you resupply at Kearsarge, I think
          you'd have a lighter pack out of VVR than you'd have from Bishop Pass,
          and then an even lighter load at Kearsarge. Not to mention the distance
          and altitude advantage of Keararge over Bishop Pass.

          Peter
        • Steve Schauer
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2009
            Can you try the pack station at Onion Valley to hold a package for you? Might cost a little bit, but save you a lot of trouble. Try Pine Creek Pack stateion, I think they man the one at Onion Valley.760-387-2797

            From: daharmattan1 <daharmattan1@ yahoo.com>

            To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com

            Date: Wednesday, August 5, 2009, 11:29 AM