Re: [John Muir Trail] weather . . . oh boy

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 5 6:52 AM
      Be careful out there, people. That's hypothermia weather.

      Also watch the winds on the ridges. Especially with a rain cover on
      your pack and wearing a poncho, 40-60 mph ridgetop winds can be
      dangerous. I stopped using rain covers (switched to drysacks) when a
      ridgeline wind turned the cover into a sail and dragged me off my
      feet.

      San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
      415-648-9279

      On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 6:16 AM, robert shattuck<bobolonius@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > the sleepy little town of lone pine, along 395 . . . sounds like the weather
      > might be interesting . . . bob
      > ...UNSEASONABLY COLD LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM TO BRING SIGNIFICANT
      >> WEATHER CHANGES TO THE REGION THROUGH THE END OF THE WEEK...
      >>
      >> AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE OFF THE CA COAST IS FORECAST TO SLOWLY MOVE
      >> INTO THE SIERRA AND WESTERN NEVADA THROUGH FRIDAY. WINDS WILL
      >> INCREASE WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON WITH MANY LOCATIONS SEEING
      >> SOUTHWESTERLY WINDS GUSTING TO 30 TO 40 MPH. RIDGE TOP WINDS OVER
      >> THE SIERRA CREST WILL LIKELY EXCEED 60 MPH INTO THURSDAY.
      >>
      >> SIGNIFICANTLY COOLER AIR IS EXPECTED TO MOVE INTO THE SIERRA AND
      >> WESTERN NEVADA THURSDAY PRODUCING SCATTERED SHOWERS AND
      >> THUNDERSTORMS...ESPECIALLY NORTH OF HIGHWAY 50. THE STRONGEST
      >> STORMS WILL LIKELY PRODUCE SMALL HAIL...HEAVY RAIN AND HAVE STRONG
      >> OUTFLOW WINDS. HIGH TEMPERATURES WILL BE WELL BELOW NORMAL
      >> THURSDAY AND FRIDAY WITH MANY WESTERN NEVADA VALLEY LOCATIONS ONLY
      >> GETTING INTO THE 70S WITH SIERRA VALLEYS ONLY IN THE 60S.
      >>
      >> COLD AIR WILL DROP SNOW LEVELS IN THE HIGH SIERRA TO NEAR 9500
      >> FEET THURSDAY NIGHT WHERE LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS ARE POSSIBLE OVER
      >> THE HIGHEST PEAKS BY FRIDAY MORNING. BACKCOUNTRY HIKERS AND
      >> CAMPERS IN THE SIERRA SHOULD PREPARE FOR NEAR OR BELOW FREEZING
      >> TEMPERATURES THURSDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHTS. HIGH SIERRA VALLEY
      >> LOCATIONS WILL ALSO LIKELY SEE OVERNIGHT LOWS NEAR FREEZING.
      >> THOSE WITH FROST SENSITIVE PLANTS SHOULD BE PREPARED TO COVER OR
      >> MOVE THEM INSIDE.
      >>
      >> ...LAKE WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TO 10 PM PDT
      >> WEDNESDAY...
      >>
      >> A LAKE WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TO 10 PM PDT
      >> WEDNESDAY.
      >>
      >> * WINDS: SOUTHWEST WINDS WILL INCREASE AROUND MIDDAY WEDNESDAY AND
      >> GUST TO 35 MPH THROUGH THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING BEFORE
      >> GRADUALLY EASING OVERNIGHT.
      >>
      >> * WAVE HEIGHTS: WAVE HEIGHTS WILL QUICKLY BUILD TO 2 TO 4 FEET
      >> DURING THE AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE THROUGH THE EVENING HOURS. IN
      >> LOCALIZED AREAS MAINLY NEAR THE NORTH SHORES OF LAKE TAHOE AND
      >> PYRAMID LAKE...WAVE HEIGHTS MAY OCCASIONALLY EXCEED 4 FEET.
      >>
      >> * SMALL BOATS WILL BE PRONE TO CAPSIZING AND SHOULD REMAIN OFF
      >> LAKE WATERS DURING THE LAKE WIND ADVISORY.
      >>

      >> ....RED FLAG WARNING FOR WEDNESDAY.....
      >>
      >> A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM OFF THE WEST COAST WILL APPROACH THE NORTHERN
      >> CALIFORNIA COAST WEDNESDAY. WINDS WILL BECOME GUSTY OVER EASTERN
      >> CALIFORNIA AND WESTERN NEVADA WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING. THESE
      >> WINDS WILL COMBINE WITH WARM TEMPERATURES AND LOW HUMIDITY TO CREATE
      >> CRITICAL FIRE WEATHER CONDITIONS.
      >>
      >> THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE POSSIBLE THURSDAY AND FRIDAY FOR THE ENTIRE
      >> REGION.
      >>
      >> TEMPERATURES WILL START TO REBOUND ON SATURDAY BUT WILL STILL REMAIN
      >> IN THE 70S IN THE SIERRA...5-7 DEGREES
      >> BELOW NORMAL. MORNING
      >> LOWS WILL START OUT COOL SATURDAY MORNING AND SOME COLDER SIERRA
      >> VALLEYS SUCH AS TRUCKEE MAY START OUT NEAR FREEZING. SATURDAY SHOULD

    • jim.ennis
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 5 8:42 PM
        Bob:
        Be careful out there. Sounds like it could get interesting up high over the next few days. I start from YV on the 17th. Hope it all gets worked out by then.
        Again, good luck.
        Jim
      • yountvlmom@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 9 10:04 PM
          We just returned from a warm up hike entering at Onion Valley and exiting
          at WP. We head back out Aug 23 from RM southbound. We heard the forecast
          after crossing Forrester Pass and camped at Tyndall Creek. It never
          happened. Although the town of Mammoth got some snow flurries we didn't even get
          a drop of rain. It did get COLD! The temp dropped into the low 20's when
          we were at Crabtree. Our final night we camped at the small lake above
          Guitar Lake and packed up ice covered tents at 2:30 AM to make our assault on
          the summit. The temp at the summit was 16 degrees on Aug 8. High pressure
          has returned to the Sierra. We had great weather otherwise, very few
          mossies, and excellent traveling companions. One of our group ran into
          Wandering Bob at the top of Forrester. I was there but missed out on that
          conversation so didn't meet him. Sorry to have missed that! Our group was from
          Napa Valley, Bob, if you remember us.
          Darlene
          PS I recommend lemon pudding made with full fat instant milk. The milk
          can be found at Hispanic markets!

          wrote:

> [...]
          >>
          >> * SMALL BOATS WILL BE PRONE TO CAPSIZING AND SHOULD REMAIN OFF
          >> LAKE WATERS DURING THE LAKE WIND ADVISORY.
          >>

          >> ....RED FLAG WARNING FOR WEDNESDAY.....
          >>
          >> A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM OFF THE WEST COAST WILL APPROACH THE NORTHERN
          >> CALIFORNIA COAST WEDNESDAY. WINDS WILL BECOME GUSTY OVER EASTERN
          >> CALIFORNIA AND WESTERN NEVADA WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING. THESE
          >> WINDS WILL COMBINE WITH WARM TEMPERATURES AND LOW HUMIDITY TO CREATE
          >> CRITICAL FIRE WEATHER CONDITIONS.
          >>
          >> THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE POSSIBLE THURSDAY AND FRIDAY FOR THE ENTIRE
          >> REGION.
          >>
          >> TEMPERATURES WILL START TO REBOUND ON SATURDAY BUT WILL STILL REMAIN
          >> IN THE 70S IN THE SIERRA...5-7 DEGREES
          >> BELOW NORMAL. MORNING
          >> LOWS WILL START OUT COOL SATURDAY MORNING AND SOME COLDER SIERRA
          >> VALLEYS SUCH AS TRUCKEE MAY START OUT NEAR FREEZING. SATURDAY SHOULD

          . .

          > where the hell are those two stuff sacks . . . damn . . . I look through
          >
          > both stuff sacks and I'm wondering, I thought I had a few stuff sacks .
          . .

          > . . . Well, it finally, DUH, dawns on me that the sacks I'm going through
          >
          > are the ones I want . . . talk about spooked though. Yesterday I could
          not

          > find my bear canister. I just had this distant thought that I'd lent it
          >
          > someone, but who? frantic calls and then the idea that I'd have to spend
          >
          > more money or rent one and would they have any and . . . . . well, leave
          it

          > to the girlfriend to come home and tell me where I put it.
          >
          > Now the big question is, do I wear the same hat I wore last year?
          Anyway, a

          > few more things to throw in, a nice German meal at WALZWERK and
          hopefully I

          > can sleep until my 5:30 a.m. wake up to make AMTRAK . . . stars?
          >
          > BOB
          >
          > sparklefart.blogspot.com
          >
          > http://www.summitpo
          >
          > <http://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480>
          >
          > st.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480
          >
          > To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
          yahoogroups.com

          > From: barbara@mkpe. <mailto:barbara%40mkpe.com> com
          >
          > Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 14:55:59 -0700
          >
          > Subject: [John Muir Trail] Meteor shower
          >
          > Just a reminder that the Perseid meteor shower is due to peak on Aug 11
          and

          > 12! We watched it last year in Dusy Basin - it was phenomenal. Wishing
          you

          > all clear skies so you can wish on a star. Barbara

          > Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for
          HotmailR.

          > http://www.windowsl

          <http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/LearnMore/personalize.aspx?ocid=PID23391

          > ::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HYGN_express:082009>

          ive-hotmail.com/LearnMore/personalize.aspx?ocid=PID23391::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en

          > -US:WM_HYGN_express:082009

          steps!
          =JulystepsfooterNO115)