Re: Transportation

  • alexyera
    Message 1 of 59 , Jan 9, 2003
      Thanks for all the great info!

      I was originally planning on early July but due to el Nino, it looks
      like it'll be mid-August instead. You planning any trips?

      Alex.
      http://www.thehiker.com

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bill <dive_hike@y...>"
      <dive_hike@y...> wrote:
      > Alex,
      >
      > The CREST (Carson City-Ridgecrest Eastern Sierra Transit) runs
      from
      > Ridgecrest to Lone Pine and Bishop. Call them for a schedule
      (800)
      > 922-1930.
      >
      > To get to Ridgecrest, take the Kern Regional Transit (800) 881
      5787
      > from Lancaster. Its about 90 miles, but I think its a change in
      > Mojave.
      > http://www.co.kern.ca.us/roads/kernregionaltransit.asp
      >
      > You can get to Lancaster from LA on the Metrolink. Its a two hour
      > ride from Union Station. http://www.metrolinktrains.com/
      >
      > You might also check on Greyhound to Mojave, then Kern Regional to
      > Ridgecrest.
      >
      > Hope this helps. When are you planning on hiking?
      > Best, Bill
      >

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, alexyera <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > > Does anyone know if there is any kind of transportation (Bus,
      > Rail,
      > > anything) to Lone Pine or Bishop?
      > >
      > > I'm planning my thru-hike of th JMT for next summer and can't
      seem
      > > to find anything. I remember there used to be at least
      greyhound
      > > couple of years ago. Did all of this stop??
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Alex.
      > > http://www.thehiker.com
    • Inga Aksamit
      Message 59 of 59 , Oct 10, 2014
        It sounds like Paul, of East Side Shuttle may be your best bet at this time of year. You could contact him and get a quote. I forget where you're end point is but if you leave your car in Mammoth (the town--maybe make a reservation at a motel for when you return and see if they'll let you leave your car) he could take you to TM, then pick you up at the end and deliver you back to Mammoth. We used Paul this summer and he was great, but of course costs more than all the public transportation options available in summer (which are not available now). It depends on your budget.

        Inga Aksamit
        Mobile: 415-470-1812
        Email: Iaksamit@...
        Twitter.com/IngaAksamit