RE: [John Muir Trail] bear canister and gloves

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 3, 2009
      Yes you definitely need gloves for the cables, without a doubt - there used
      to be a pile at the base for anyone to use, occasionally the rangers clear
      it up. Maybe someone there recently can comment. I used cheap gardening
      gloves with a good hand grip and a wrist strap so my hands wouldn't slide
      out of them.

      I carried my Expedition canister inside my Catalyst pack - vertically. I
      also had a Weekender which I carried horizontally and as high as possible -
      I prefer my weight high rather than banging on my butt! Barbara

      _____

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 3, 2009
        Agree with being belayed in - I used webbing wrapped round my waist x 3,
        secured with a water knot, then another piece of stitched loop webbing
        looped thru that and attached to the cables with a carabiner - in fact I
        used two such loops, so that when one was unclipped to get around an
        upright, I was still clipped in with the other. Someone had fallen the day
        before we did it (June 07) so I was grateful for the support. That rock is
        very slippery even when dry.

        _____

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 3, 2009
          I hiked Half Dome on 7/5. There was a pile of gloves at the base of the cables despite the fact that the NPS urges people to not leave their gloves.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 3, 2009
            I've been up twice and never used gloves. Neither did my son or my friend. I had no problem being barehanded.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Rider <prider09@...> wrote:

            > Hi all again,
            > Can any of you who have climbed Half Dome say whether gloves are necessary (to help with the cables) or not? Also, how is everyone carrying their bear canister? I loaded it up and put it on top of my pack where I can anchor it securely, but feels "heavy" up there. Have never used one of these before so wonder where's the best place to put it. I have an Osprey internal frame backpack. If I try to put it in my backpack I won't have room for much else.
            > Thanks,
            > Patty

          • hmdsierra
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 3, 2009
              I've been up twice and never used gloves. Neither did my son or my friend. I had no problem being barehanded.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Rider <prider09@...> wrote:

              > Hi all again,
              > Can any of you who have climbed Half Dome say whether gloves are necessary (to help with the cables) or not? Also, how is everyone carrying their bear canister? I loaded it up and put it on top of my pack where I can anchor it securely, but feels "heavy" up there. Have never used one of these before so wonder where's the best place to put it. I have an Osprey internal frame backpack. If I try to put it in my backpack I won't have room for much else.
              > Thanks,
              > Patty

            • Rich Ehli
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 3, 2009
                AFAIK there is no rule that you must carry the food inside the bear
                cannister while hiking. Only that you store it there when in camp. The
                heavier items are best loaded up high but I can see where a loaded
                cannister strapped to the top of your pack might be unstable. You might
                consider carrying the food in the more conventional arrangement, in
                stuff sacks at the top of your pack, while placing your clothes and
                sleeping bag inside the cannister in the space below.

                Rich

                Patricia Rider wrote:

                > Hi all again,
                > Can any of you who have climbed Half Dome say whether gloves are
                > necessary (to help with the cables) or not? Also, how is everyone
                > carrying their bear canister? I loaded it up and put it on top of my
                > pack where I can anchor it securely, but feels "heavy" up there. Have
                > never used one of these before so wonder where's the best place to put
                > it. I have an Osprey internal frame backpack. If I try to put it in my
                > backpack I won't have room for much else.
                > Thanks,
                > Patty

              • Steve Schauer
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 3, 2009
                  Gloves: I found some nitrile gardening gloves at the local Ace hardware, and I called them my Spiderman gloves because they gripped so well. They were about $5. They are essential for the cables.
                  For packing the canister: I also have the Osprey internal frame pack. I put the canister upright in the middle compartment, and pack everything else around it. I hike with my husband, so we share items like tent and stove, first aid kit, camera and tripod. I don't bring much extra clothing. As the canister empties, I pack my stove and cooking gear in the canister. It worked out well.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 3, 2009
                    Definitely bring some gloves. Don't trust that there will be a supply at the bottom of the cables or that you'd want to wear them afterwards (bacteria, viri and whatever yuk). A good set of gardening gloves with sticky grips work well (either the ones w/ rubber dots or better yet rubberized over the whole hand).

                    As for bear can, it really depends on the size of your pack and weight distribution. I have a Bear Vault (BV-500) and it fits horizontally inside my Gregory z65. It sits up towards the top of my pack but not so high or so far back that it alters my center of gravity too much (i.e., no tippy-ness). Makes for easy access too. That's actually one of the reasons I bought the Gregory over the Osprey Atmos (which made me feel like I was being pulled backwards). You may need to experiment a bit to figure out where the can fits you best for your Osprey, but if you can get it centered in the upper shoulderblade area, that would probably do the trick. If not, better for it to feel a bit heavy on top than to be off balance.

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Rider <prider09@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all again,
                    > Can any of you who have climbed Half Dome say whether gloves are necessary (to help with the cables) or not? Also, how is everyone carrying their bear canister? I loaded it up and put it on top of my pack where I can anchor it securely, but feels "heavy" up there. Have never used one of these before so wonder where's the best place to put it. I have an Osprey internal frame backpack. If I try to put it in my backpack I won't have room for much else.
                    > Thanks,
                    > Patty

                  • Peter Burke
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
                      No rule what you do with the food when it is not unattended. If you pack
                      it loose in the backpack during the day, you have to make sure the pack
                      is never unattended. For half the Muir Trail, the canister itself isn't
                      even required, although once you get used to not having to pick your
                      camps based on trees suitable for hanging, you'll probably bring the
                      canister anyway.

                      I usually pack my canister in the upper compartment and use tent and
                      clothing to position it in that area. Once the content shrinks other
                      stuff like pots and pans and stove move into the top of the bear can to
                      keep the heavier items near the top of the pack

                      Rich Ehli wrote:

                      > AFAIK there is no rule that you must carry the food inside the bear
                      > cannister while hiking. Only that you store it there when in camp. The
                      > heavier items are best loaded up high but I can see where a loaded
                      > cannister strapped to the top of your pack might be unstable. You might
                      > consider carrying the food in the more conventional arrangement, in
                      > stuff sacks at the top of your pack, while placing your clothes and
                      > sleeping bag inside the cannister in the space below.
                      >
                      > Rich

                    • mm03g
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
                        I have the Osprey Aether 70 (medium) and a large-size BearVault fits perfectly in the lower compartment sideways