Re: [John Muir Trail] bear canister and gloves

  • Peter Burke
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 3, 2009
      I pack canisters inside my packs, all internal frame. Obviously, a
      matter of size of the pack.

      Half Dome - harness and carabiners are more important than gloves.

      i.e. you want to be secured to the cable, in case some other yahoo above
      you decides to fall on you.

      looks like this:
      http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/gallery/JMT1989/day%2001/slides/JMT_1989_0615.jpg

      Once you get to Tuolumne Meadows, mail the stuff home.

      Peter

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 3, 2009
        I strongly recommend the gloves. You might want a cheap pair, because the
        cables are hard on them. You could discard them at Tuolumne and include a
        better pair in your resupply packet for the rest of the trip, when warm will
        be more important than tough.

        I find I like weight high. But it takes some getting used to. And it can
        make you feel a little "tippy" in precarious footing..

        San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
        415-648-9279

        On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Patricia Rider <prider09@...> wrote:

        > Hi all again,
        > Can any of you who have climbed Half Dome say whether gloves are necessary
        > (to help with the cables) or not? Also, how is everyone carrying their bear
        > canister? I loaded it up and put it on top of my pack where I can anchor it
        > securely, but feels "heavy" up there. Have never used one of these before so
        > wonder where's the best place to put it. I have an Osprey internal frame
        > backpack. If I try to put it in my backpack I won't have room for much else.
        > Thanks,
        > Patty

      • Bill Plesha
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 3, 2009
          Patty,

          Gloves are a good idea on the cables. Generally, there are spare gloves at the base, but to be safe, I'd bring along a pair.

          Regarding the bear canister it really should go inside your pack. As you said, putting it on top will make you top heavy (even though some of the photos will show it mounted on top).

          I actually had to go out and buy a new, larger pack to accomodate my canister for my upcoming trip.

          Ideally, you would want to have it in your pack lying on its side near the bottom (say above your sleeping bag). If it won't go in sideways then standing up would be the second best alternative.

          Good Luck,

          Bill P.
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 3, 2009
            Yes you definitely need gloves for the cables, without a doubt - there used
            to be a pile at the base for anyone to use, occasionally the rangers clear
            it up. Maybe someone there recently can comment. I used cheap gardening
            gloves with a good hand grip and a wrist strap so my hands wouldn't slide
            out of them.

            I carried my Expedition canister inside my Catalyst pack - vertically. I
            also had a Weekender which I carried horizontally and as high as possible -
            I prefer my weight high rather than banging on my butt! Barbara

            _____

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 3, 2009
              Agree with being belayed in - I used webbing wrapped round my waist x 3,
              secured with a water knot, then another piece of stitched loop webbing
              looped thru that and attached to the cables with a carabiner - in fact I
              used two such loops, so that when one was unclipped to get around an
              upright, I was still clipped in with the other. Someone had fallen the day
              before we did it (June 07) so I was grateful for the support. That rock is
              very slippery even when dry.

              _____

              Patricia Rider wrote:

              > Hi all again,
              > Can any of you who have climbed Half Dome say whether gloves are
              > necessary (to help with the cables) or not? Also, how is everyone
              > carrying their bear canister? I loaded it up and put it on top of my
              > pack where I can anchor it securely, but feels "heavy" up there. Have
              > never used one of these before so wonder where's the best place to put
              > it. I have an Osprey internal frame backpack. If I try to put it in my
              > backpack I won't have room for much else.
              > Thanks,
              > Patty
              >
              > _

            • Ken
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 3, 2009
                I hiked Half Dome on 7/5. There was a pile of gloves at the base of the cables despite the fact that the NPS urges people to not leave their gloves.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 3, 2009
                  I've been up twice and never used gloves. Neither did my son or my friend. I had no problem being barehanded.

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Rider <prider09@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all again,
                  > Can any of you who have climbed Half Dome say whether gloves are necessary (to help with the cables) or not? Also, how is everyone carrying their bear canister? I loaded it up and put it on top of my pack where I can anchor it securely, but feels "heavy" up there. Have never used one of these before so wonder where's the best place to put it. I have an Osprey internal frame backpack. If I try to put it in my backpack I won't have room for much else.
                  > Thanks,
                  > Patty

                • hmdsierra
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 3, 2009
                    I've been up twice and never used gloves. Neither did my son or my friend. I had no problem being barehanded.

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Rider <prider09@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all again,
                    > Can any of you who have climbed Half Dome say whether gloves are necessary (to help with the cables) or not? Also, how is everyone carrying their bear canister? I loaded it up and put it on top of my pack where I can anchor it securely, but feels "heavy" up there. Have never used one of these before so wonder where's the best place to put it. I have an Osprey internal frame backpack. If I try to put it in my backpack I won't have room for much else.
                    > Thanks,
                    > Patty

                  • Rich Ehli
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 3, 2009
                      AFAIK there is no rule that you must carry the food inside the bear
                      cannister while hiking. Only that you store it there when in camp. The
                      heavier items are best loaded up high but I can see where a loaded
                      cannister strapped to the top of your pack might be unstable. You might
                      consider carrying the food in the more conventional arrangement, in
                      stuff sacks at the top of your pack, while placing your clothes and
                      sleeping bag inside the cannister in the space below.

                      Rich

                      Patricia Rider wrote:

                      > Hi all again,
                      > Can any of you who have climbed Half Dome say whether gloves are
                      > necessary (to help with the cables) or not? Also, how is everyone
                      > carrying their bear canister? I loaded it up and put it on top of my
                      > pack where I can anchor it securely, but feels "heavy" up there. Have
                      > never used one of these before so wonder where's the best place to put
                      > it. I have an Osprey internal frame backpack. If I try to put it in my
                      > backpack I won't have room for much else.
                      > Thanks,
                      > Patty

                    • Steve Schauer
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 3, 2009
                        Gloves: I found some nitrile gardening gloves at the local Ace hardware, and I called them my Spiderman gloves because they gripped so well. They were about $5. They are essential for the cables.
                        For packing the canister: I also have the Osprey internal frame pack. I put the canister upright in the middle compartment, and pack everything else around it. I hike with my husband, so we share items like tent and stove, first aid kit, camera and tripod. I don't bring much extra clothing. As the canister empties, I pack my stove and cooking gear in the canister. It worked out well.

                        Can any of you who have climbed Half Dome say whether gloves are necessary (to help with the cables) or not? Also, how is everyone carrying their bear canister? I loaded it up and put it on top of my pack where I can anchor it securely, but feels "heavy" up there. Have never used one of these before so wonder where's the best place to put it. I have an Osprey internal frame backpack. If I try to put it in my backpack I won't have room for much else.

                        Thanks,

                        Patty

                      • cjoslyn99
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 3, 2009
                          Definitely bring some gloves. Don't trust that there will be a supply at the bottom of the cables or that you'd want to wear them afterwards (bacteria, viri and whatever yuk). A good set of gardening gloves with sticky grips work well (either the ones w/ rubber dots or better yet rubberized over the whole hand).

                          As for bear can, it really depends on the size of your pack and weight distribution. I have a Bear Vault (BV-500) and it fits horizontally inside my Gregory z65. It sits up towards the top of my pack but not so high or so far back that it alters my center of gravity too much (i.e., no tippy-ness). Makes for easy access too. That's actually one of the reasons I bought the Gregory over the Osprey Atmos (which made me feel like I was being pulled backwards). You may need to experiment a bit to figure out where the can fits you best for your Osprey, but if you can get it centered in the upper shoulderblade area, that would probably do the trick. If not, better for it to feel a bit heavy on top than to be off balance.

                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Rider <prider09@...> wrote:

                          > Hi all again,
                          > Can any of you who have climbed Half Dome say whether gloves are necessary (to help with the cables) or not? Also, how is everyone carrying their bear canister? I loaded it up and put it on top of my pack where I can anchor it securely, but feels "heavy" up there. Have never used one of these before so wonder where's the best place to put it. I have an Osprey internal frame backpack. If I try to put it in my backpack I won't have room for much else.
                          > Thanks,
                          > Patty

                        • Peter Burke
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
                            No rule what you do with the food when it is not unattended. If you pack
                            it loose in the backpack during the day, you have to make sure the pack
                            is never unattended. For half the Muir Trail, the canister itself isn't
                            even required, although once you get used to not having to pick your
                            camps based on trees suitable for hanging, you'll probably bring the
                            canister anyway.

                            I usually pack my canister in the upper compartment and use tent and
                            clothing to position it in that area. Once the content shrinks other
                            stuff like pots and pans and stove move into the top of the bear can to
                            keep the heavier items near the top of the pack

                            Rich Ehli wrote:

                            > AFAIK there is no rule that you must carry the food inside the bear
                            > cannister while hiking. Only that you store it there when in camp. The
                            > heavier items are best loaded up high but I can see where a loaded
                            > cannister strapped to the top of your pack might be unstable. You might
                            > consider carrying the food in the more conventional arrangement, in
                            > stuff sacks at the top of your pack, while placing your clothes and
                            > sleeping bag inside the cannister in the space below.
                            >
                            > Rich

                          • mm03g
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
                              I have the Osprey Aether 70 (medium) and a large-size BearVault fits perfectly in the lower compartment sideways