Re: [John Muir Trail] my bad-ass bear killin' knife

  • dc t
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2009
      Though it's not the lightest thing in the world, I have always used the Swiss Army knife. I have always carried one during all of my back pack ventures and deployments in hostile fire zones and it has proven invaluable over the past 3 1/2 decades. I have one that my granddad gave me when I was eleven. It has scizzors, saw blade, awl, wire stripper, phillips and flat head screw drivers and two blades. Though I don't see much use for a screw driver on the JMT, the awl, saw and scissors have been used extensively for emergency repairs.

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2009
        Inspired by Bob's quest for the smallest piece of equipment that does
        the job, I just found a nifty solution to a problem that's been in the
        back of my mind.

        I don't carry much of a tool kit and on my recent trip I found myself
        borrowing a Swiss Army Knife to tighten the tension-adjusting screw on
        my lever-style trekking poles (Black Diamonds). One pole was not
        quite tight enough and I worried that it might collapse if I suddenly
        thrust weight on it. (There are 2 of the adjusting screws on each
        pole)

        I usually bring a dime and a quarter with me, and they solve most
        screwdriver needs, but the adjusting screws on the poles were not
        sized right for this solution.

        While I can always count on my fellow hikers on the JMT, I travel some
        obscure trails at times, so I wanted to find something that would
        allow me to tighten that particular screw. And it seemed excessive to
        carry a small screwdriver.

        So, finally, I come to the solution.

        I went to my local hardware store and found that a "speed nut" costing
        pennies and weighing nothing that just fit the screw hole perfectly.
        (And it takes almost no torque to adjust the screw with the lever
        open.) It was so small that the big problem was how not to lose the
        nut. So I taped it to the trekking pole itself with some clear Duct
        Tape. That way, if I have my trekking ople, I always have a
        "screwdriver" to adjust it.

        For those of you who don't know what a speed nut is, here's a link to a picture.

        http://www.rubbertherightway.com/new%20web%20pics/Flat%20Speed%20Nut.png

        They are the little flat, arched pieces of thin (usually black) sheet
        metal that can form a quick attachment to a machine screw. Your
        hardware store should have them in various sizes and you could find
        one to fit almost any screw you might need to tighten on trail. Note,
        however, that they would work poorly for screws that require a lot of
        torque to tighten. I don't think I have any other screws in my usual
        equipment, so I jsut needed the one.

        San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
        415-648-9279