Re: [John Muir Trail] my bad-ass bear killin' knife

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2009
      I love Bob Shattuck's idea of the small knife and think I'll get one
      of these as a spare. While I've never lost a knife on trail, I'd hate
      to. I've always carried a single-sided razor blade as an emergency
      knife replacement, and for first aid purposes, but I like Bob's idea
      better.

      The only reason I need a bigger standard knife than Bob's highly
      efficient suggestion is that I cook in ways that require me to slice
      meat, usually a hard sausage (or my beloved lardo) or hard cheese.
      For this purpose I like a lightweight kitchen paring knife.

      I particularly like this knife which costs under $10, is lightweight,
      comes with a scabbard and is so colorful that I'm unlikely to ever
      leave it behind. You can buy it at your local Sur Le Table or order
      it online.

      http://www.surlatable.com/product/cutlery/paring+%26+utility+knives/kuhn+rikon+paring+knives.do?sortby=ourPicks

      (PS: If you are interested in lardo, (aka proscuitto bianco) see

      http://www.boccalone.com/Products/Cured-Meats

      It is highly efficient to carry (200+ calories/oz), very stable on
      trail and. if minced, a good addition to any basic dinner, especially
      those of the rice-and-beans variety. It's would be a good addition to
      most commercial freeze-dried meals. More on lardo later.)

      John Ladd

      Bob's posting:
      I love the "OLFA TOUCH-KNIFE"
      > http://olfablades.stores.yahoo.net/touch.html
      >
      > it's about as big as a dollar coin, weight-less and the blade is spring-loaded, AND WORKS.
    • dc t
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2009
        Though it's not the lightest thing in the world, I have always used the Swiss Army knife. I have always carried one during all of my back pack ventures and deployments in hostile fire zones and it has proven invaluable over the past 3 1/2 decades. I have one that my granddad gave me when I was eleven. It has scizzors, saw blade, awl, wire stripper, phillips and flat head screw drivers and two blades. Though I don't see much use for a screw driver on the JMT, the awl, saw and scissors have been used extensively for emergency repairs.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2009
          Inspired by Bob's quest for the smallest piece of equipment that does
          the job, I just found a nifty solution to a problem that's been in the
          back of my mind.

          I don't carry much of a tool kit and on my recent trip I found myself
          borrowing a Swiss Army Knife to tighten the tension-adjusting screw on
          my lever-style trekking poles (Black Diamonds). One pole was not
          quite tight enough and I worried that it might collapse if I suddenly
          thrust weight on it. (There are 2 of the adjusting screws on each
          pole)

          I usually bring a dime and a quarter with me, and they solve most
          screwdriver needs, but the adjusting screws on the poles were not
          sized right for this solution.

          While I can always count on my fellow hikers on the JMT, I travel some
          obscure trails at times, so I wanted to find something that would
          allow me to tighten that particular screw. And it seemed excessive to
          carry a small screwdriver.

          So, finally, I come to the solution.

          I went to my local hardware store and found that a "speed nut" costing
          pennies and weighing nothing that just fit the screw hole perfectly.
          (And it takes almost no torque to adjust the screw with the lever
          open.) It was so small that the big problem was how not to lose the
          nut. So I taped it to the trekking pole itself with some clear Duct
          Tape. That way, if I have my trekking ople, I always have a
          "screwdriver" to adjust it.

          For those of you who don't know what a speed nut is, here's a link to a picture.

          http://www.rubbertherightway.com/new%20web%20pics/Flat%20Speed%20Nut.png

          They are the little flat, arched pieces of thin (usually black) sheet
          metal that can form a quick attachment to a machine screw. Your
          hardware store should have them in various sizes and you could find
          one to fit almost any screw you might need to tighten on trail. Note,
          however, that they would work poorly for screws that require a lot of
          torque to tighten. I don't think I have any other screws in my usual
          equipment, so I jsut needed the one.

          San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
          415-648-9279