Re: Footwear - heavier vs lighter

  • onkelb0b
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 1, 2009
      I like heavy because I am an uncoordinated slob who tends to kick rocks all day, the big leather protects da dogs. My hammer toes present a problem with blisters, which I solve by my washing feet in the morning and at night and by applying Vaseline to affected areas. The Vaseline reduces the friction enough I do not usually need tape while walking. On the rare occasion that a hot spot forms, I use a "slippery tape," duct or another one with a smooth plastic surface.
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 2, 2009
        I should add one more advantage I perceive about boots.

        With boots and trekking poles I find that I have to watch the trail
        less intently. I glance down at it every few seconds, but my eyes
        tend mostly to be scanning the middle and far distance.

        With just shoes on rough ground, I find myself being required to watch
        the trail footing more carefully and I think I tend to miss animal
        sightings, wildflowers and the wonderful long views.

        San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
        415-648-9279