Re: [John Muir Trail] Footwear - heavier vs lighter - My conclusion

  • Rich Ehli
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 31, 2009
      Mention of Nepal and boots reminds me of my friend's experience on a
      trek many years ago in that country. His boots were snatched from
      outside his tent one night. He did the rest of the trek in native
      footwear, and he said it wasn't a lot of fun.

      robert shattuck wrote:
      > I just gotta say, REI monarch IV series boots . . . "the Monarchs" last year I bought a pair a week before going to Nepal (having bought a pair of too-narrow scarpa boots a week or so before that, that I returned) and wore them for one afternoon of easy hill hiking, before taking off.
      > They were very comfortable right out of the box and I never had any problems with my feet, although, after twenty-plus days of hiking in Nepal and then a few weeks later, on the JMT, they did blow up on me. sides split at the sole seams, but they remained comfortable.
      > I think if I had given them a little care, like water repellant, I might have made them last longer . . . I just bought a second pair and they've got about three hours of side walk on them . . . we'll see how they are, end of August.
      > bob
      >

      > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      > From: mgmarabeti@...
      > Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 21:23:44 +0000
      > Subject: [John Muir Trail] Footwear - heavier vs lighter - My conclusion

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "mm03g" <mgmarabeti@...> wrote:I started breaking-in a pair of Asolo FSN's http://www.rei.com/product/667406. Learning that I have two different size feet, I got a heel blister on the right twice - once with liner, once w/out. Returned to REI and got Merrell Phaser Peak http://www.rei.com/product/748502 (3lbs). .......
      >

      > In conclusion to my original post, I have found the Vasque Breeze GTX XCR (http://www.rei.com/product/737707) to be the best overall choice for me at this time. No break-in time req'd but a surprisingly stiff sole. Very comfortable, no need for a wide size, no pressure points, room for swelling. Walked several miles yesterday on rocky trail with SuperFeet, liner sock and thick SmartWool. Also added a SecondSkin patch to a mostly healed blister. Have the Dr Scholl's equivalent as well (they're identical but SecondSkin is slightly bigger). Between that, moleskin, BodyGlide, and duct tape around the Nalgene, I will likely be over-prepared. Having this one aspect resolved is a huge relief.
      >

      > MANY thanks for everyone's advice and opinions.

    • onkelb0b
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 1, 2009
        I like heavy because I am an uncoordinated slob who tends to kick rocks all day, the big leather protects da dogs. My hammer toes present a problem with blisters, which I solve by my washing feet in the morning and at night and by applying Vaseline to affected areas. The Vaseline reduces the friction enough I do not usually need tape while walking. On the rare occasion that a hot spot forms, I use a "slippery tape," duct or another one with a smooth plastic surface.
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 2, 2009
          I should add one more advantage I perceive about boots.

          With boots and trekking poles I find that I have to watch the trail
          less intently. I glance down at it every few seconds, but my eyes
          tend mostly to be scanning the middle and far distance.

          With just shoes on rough ground, I find myself being required to watch
          the trail footing more carefully and I think I tend to miss animal
          sightings, wildflowers and the wonderful long views.

          San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
          415-648-9279