Gas lantern backpacking

  • andresjsalazar
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2002
      I just bought a coleman gas lantern, I am planning a backpacking trip
      for 5 days.
      I just came to a situation, how do I carry/pack the lantern without
      breaking the glass or mantles?
      Any advice would help.
    • jerry92103
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14, 2002
        --- In johnmuirtrail@y..., "andresjsalazar" <andresjsalazar@y...>
        wrote:
        > I just bought a coleman gas lantern, I am planning a backpacking
        trip
        > for 5 days.
        > I just came to a situation, how do I carry/pack the lantern
        without
        > breaking the glass or mantles?
        > Any advice would help.

        I have a very small, Gaz lantern (80 watts) that is about 6 1/2" high
        and 3 1/2" square that came in it's own, plastic carrying case----
        like that you see with large, Coleman lanterns. (The case doesn't
        carry the fuel can) But it it rigid and protects the lantern, globe,
        etc. I bought this model especially for the carrying case.
        Depending on the size of your lantern, you could cut the top off a
        plastic, milk, quart container and reinforce it with duct tape, etc.,
        and bubble wrap your lantern inside. Good luck.

        Jerry