Re: Suggestions for 9 or 10 days on JMT

  • lostimnot
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10, 2002
      Last year I hiked the leg starting from Red's Meadow, resupplied at
      VVR, then exited from Little Pete's over Bishop Pass to South Lake.
      That was about 90 miles including the 12 to exit and was the best
      hiking experience I've ever had. If I had to do it over again I
      would start at Agnew Meadows and backtrack to Island Pass, a truly
      magical spot for me. Then head south, resupply at VVR to get the
      barbeque, shower, and beer, and go south past the Rae Lakes and exit
      over the Kearsarge Pass to Onion Valley. Check the CREST bus
      schedule carefully if you take that route. Although the southbound
      bus goes all the way to Ridgecrest, I think the northbound run starts
      at Bishop, so you'd have to get from Independence to Bishop somehow.
      Truth is you can't miss no matter where you go on the JMT. Bob R