Re: [John Muir Trail] Suggestions for 9 or 10 days on JMT

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 9 5:58 PM
      Bill,

      My suggestion for a solo hiker: You could start at
      Mammoth and hike in over Duck Pass. Its about 7 miles
      from the trailhead to the JMT. Then I would hike
      south ... this will take you through some of the
      greatest scenery on earth and some of the most remote
      areas of the JMT. Most of my favorite spots are
      along this section!

      After hiking through Rae Lakes and over Glen Pass, you
      can exit over Kearsarge Pass to Onion Valley. Its
      about 8 miles to the trailhead. The JMT mileage is
      close to 110 miles, and the overall mileage is just
      under 125 miles (by my calculations).

      It is fairly easy to find a ride from Onion Valley to
      Independence. If driving, I would leave my vehicle at
      Onion Valley or Independence, then take the CREST bus
      service from Independence back to Mammoth to start
      your hike. You may need to take a taxi (in Mammoth)
      to the trailhead. CREST: (Carson City-Ridgecrest
      Eastern Sierra Transit: (800) 922-1930). Make sure
      you call them; I don't think they run everyday.

      Resupply: I would consider using VVR, its only about
      27 miles from Mammoth over Duck Pass (2 days for you),
      but then you would be light the first couple of days.
      For the last section, you would need to carry 7 or 8
      days of food.

      Have a great hike!
      Best, Bill

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • lostimnot
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10 9:16 PM
        Last year I hiked the leg starting from Red's Meadow, resupplied at
        VVR, then exited from Little Pete's over Bishop Pass to South Lake.
        That was about 90 miles including the 12 to exit and was the best
        hiking experience I've ever had. If I had to do it over again I
        would start at Agnew Meadows and backtrack to Island Pass, a truly
        magical spot for me. Then head south, resupply at VVR to get the
        barbeque, shower, and beer, and go south past the Rae Lakes and exit
        over the Kearsarge Pass to Onion Valley. Check the CREST bus
        schedule carefully if you take that route. Although the southbound
        bus goes all the way to Ridgecrest, I think the northbound run starts
        at Bishop, so you'd have to get from Independence to Bishop somehow.
        Truth is you can't miss no matter where you go on the JMT. Bob R