Re: Suggestions for 9 or 10 days on JMT

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 9, 2002
      This is a hard one since there are so many fine places to see. From
      South Lk. to Mt. Whitney is about 100 miles. I did this with a friend
      in 2 weeks in September but we mover slower than you plan and took
      days off to fish. You get to see LeConte Canyon, Palisade Lks.,
      Upper Basin, Rae Lks. and much more. The high points for me were Glen
      Pass (I have a real soft spot for this pass) and the Upper Kern. My
      friend really liked the view south from Forester Pass. He looked and
      said "ahhh MY Kern". I think he carries the deed to it in his pocket.
      The down side is you miss Banner, Ritter, Cascade Valley and
      Evolution Valley, though with a few more miles you could start at
      Florence Lk. instead of South Lk. Oh well, something for the next
      time. Whichever you choose a good time is assured
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9, 2002
        Bill,

        My suggestion for a solo hiker: You could start at
        Mammoth and hike in over Duck Pass. Its about 7 miles
        from the trailhead to the JMT. Then I would hike
        south ... this will take you through some of the
        greatest scenery on earth and some of the most remote
        areas of the JMT. Most of my favorite spots are
        along this section!

        After hiking through Rae Lakes and over Glen Pass, you
        can exit over Kearsarge Pass to Onion Valley. Its
        about 8 miles to the trailhead. The JMT mileage is
        close to 110 miles, and the overall mileage is just
        under 125 miles (by my calculations).

        It is fairly easy to find a ride from Onion Valley to
        Independence. If driving, I would leave my vehicle at
        Onion Valley or Independence, then take the CREST bus
        service from Independence back to Mammoth to start
        your hike. You may need to take a taxi (in Mammoth)
        to the trailhead. CREST: (Carson City-Ridgecrest
        Eastern Sierra Transit: (800) 922-1930). Make sure
        you call them; I don't think they run everyday.

        Resupply: I would consider using VVR, its only about
        27 miles from Mammoth over Duck Pass (2 days for you),
        but then you would be light the first couple of days.
        For the last section, you would need to carry 7 or 8
        days of food.

        Have a great hike!
        Best, Bill

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • lostimnot
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 10, 2002
          Last year I hiked the leg starting from Red's Meadow, resupplied at
          VVR, then exited from Little Pete's over Bishop Pass to South Lake.
          That was about 90 miles including the 12 to exit and was the best
          hiking experience I've ever had. If I had to do it over again I
          would start at Agnew Meadows and backtrack to Island Pass, a truly
          magical spot for me. Then head south, resupply at VVR to get the
          barbeque, shower, and beer, and go south past the Rae Lakes and exit
          over the Kearsarge Pass to Onion Valley. Check the CREST bus
          schedule carefully if you take that route. Although the southbound
          bus goes all the way to Ridgecrest, I think the northbound run starts
          at Bishop, so you'd have to get from Independence to Bishop somehow.
          Truth is you can't miss no matter where you go on the JMT. Bob R