Suggestions for 9 or 10 days on JMT

  • billbholt
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2002
      I planning a 9 or 10 day solo trip on the JMT in mid-September. Any
      suggestions. I'm planning 10 to 15 miles per day but would like some
      flexibility so the total mileage should probably be in the 100 to 125
      miles range.

      TIA - Bill
    • snow_nymph_2000
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 8, 2002
        Hi Bill,

        We started at Yosemite Valley and 10 days later we were at Muir
        Ranch. To lighten our packs we cached food at Tuolumne Meadows and
        Reds Meadows. Our third cache was at Muir Ranch.

        http://www.snow-nymph.com

        There's a John Muir page with our 30 day trip. We lowered the
        mileage after the first 100 miles over the next 20 days, which
        included side trips.

        We're planning to do it again in 2003, but with other side trips.

        Have a great trip!
      • hmdsierra
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 9, 2002
          This is a hard one since there are so many fine places to see. From
          South Lk. to Mt. Whitney is about 100 miles. I did this with a friend
          in 2 weeks in September but we mover slower than you plan and took
          days off to fish. You get to see LeConte Canyon, Palisade Lks.,
          Upper Basin, Rae Lks. and much more. The high points for me were Glen
          Pass (I have a real soft spot for this pass) and the Upper Kern. My
          friend really liked the view south from Forester Pass. He looked and
          said "ahhh MY Kern". I think he carries the deed to it in his pocket.
          The down side is you miss Banner, Ritter, Cascade Valley and
          Evolution Valley, though with a few more miles you could start at
          Florence Lk. instead of South Lk. Oh well, something for the next
          time. Whichever you choose a good time is assured
        • Bill
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 9, 2002
            Bill,

            My suggestion for a solo hiker: You could start at
            Mammoth and hike in over Duck Pass. Its about 7 miles
            from the trailhead to the JMT. Then I would hike
            south ... this will take you through some of the
            greatest scenery on earth and some of the most remote
            areas of the JMT. Most of my favorite spots are
            along this section!

            After hiking through Rae Lakes and over Glen Pass, you
            can exit over Kearsarge Pass to Onion Valley. Its
            about 8 miles to the trailhead. The JMT mileage is
            close to 110 miles, and the overall mileage is just
            under 125 miles (by my calculations).

            It is fairly easy to find a ride from Onion Valley to
            Independence. If driving, I would leave my vehicle at
            Onion Valley or Independence, then take the CREST bus
            service from Independence back to Mammoth to start
            your hike. You may need to take a taxi (in Mammoth)
            to the trailhead. CREST: (Carson City-Ridgecrest
            Eastern Sierra Transit: (800) 922-1930). Make sure
            you call them; I don't think they run everyday.

            Resupply: I would consider using VVR, its only about
            27 miles from Mammoth over Duck Pass (2 days for you),
            but then you would be light the first couple of days.
            For the last section, you would need to carry 7 or 8
            days of food.

            Have a great hike!
            Best, Bill

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • lostimnot
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 10, 2002
              Last year I hiked the leg starting from Red's Meadow, resupplied at
              VVR, then exited from Little Pete's over Bishop Pass to South Lake.
              That was about 90 miles including the 12 to exit and was the best
              hiking experience I've ever had. If I had to do it over again I
              would start at Agnew Meadows and backtrack to Island Pass, a truly
              magical spot for me. Then head south, resupply at VVR to get the
              barbeque, shower, and beer, and go south past the Rae Lakes and exit
              over the Kearsarge Pass to Onion Valley. Check the CREST bus
              schedule carefully if you take that route. Although the southbound
              bus goes all the way to Ridgecrest, I think the northbound run starts
              at Bishop, so you'd have to get from Independence to Bishop somehow.
              Truth is you can't miss no matter where you go on the JMT. Bob R