Just finished the JMT - I recommend resupply at MTR

  • Jon Shannon
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 23, 2009
      Hi all:

      Just got back from hiking the JMT. What a fantastic trip! I've lived in CA most of my 47 years and had no idea that that so much of what I saw is in California. The wilderness! There were places where I would have sworn I was in Alaska, other places I would have sworn was Colorado or Montana. FANTASTIC!! Also met some really neat people along the way.

      One of the pleasant experiences was resupply at MTR. Pat (who participates in this forum) is one of the two ladies that handles resupply at MTR and she was very helpful. MTR is just an all around pleasant place. Blayney Hot Springs is near by and it is in a beautiful setting (meadow filled with wildfowers; mountains on both sides). It was one of the highlights of the trip. Just one thing to note: 1) Though they would like to provide bathrooms for backpackers, their facilities just wouldn't be able to handle the extra usage - so don't expect to be able to use their bathrooms.

      By the way, unlike what a previous poster said, the hot springs isn't "naked only". Being in the wilderness doesn't give you an excuse to force your nudity on others who may not be comfortable with it.
    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 23, 2009
        Ha,
        that previous poster was probably making a joke . . . "nekkid only" . . . which would preposterous!!!! and judging by his encounters at other clothing optional spots, he probably wouldn't want to be in the same tub with some flabby, overly -tanned old fart, anyway . . . nah, you can dress or not, for the blaney hot springs, but often times you will find "nekkid folks" of both sexes in there, chasing bubbles . . .
        bob

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com