Re: Fly fishing the JMT

  • kb_haw
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2 8:04 AM
      --- In johnmuirtrail@y..., packless <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > After all the good suggestions about resupply, I will toss out
      > another question.
      >
      > Should I pack along a fly rod?
      >
      > I suppose if I was more skilled with the fly rod, it might help with
      > my resupply.

      I can't speak for the JMT, but I can relate from another hike. I took
      a pack fly rod along when my son and I hiked the Tahoe Yosemite Trail
      (TYT). It's 187 miles. What I discovered is that I did'nt fish as much
      as I would have liked due to long days and being tired. Fly fishing is
      also more limited in where you can fish and the setup time is longer.
      The change I made is that I bought an inexpensive ($50) combo spin/fly
      rod. I have a small box of lures/bait/etc, along with a fly reel and
      box of flys. This way I get more fishing because of the flexibility.
      Hope this helps.
    • hmdsierra
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2 6:31 PM
        >What I discovered is that I did'nt fish as much as I would have liked
        >due to long days and being tired.

        Actually our experience on JMT was somewhat similar. I though we'd
        make camp in time to do a little fishing. The reality was we
        usually arrived in time for dinner. We did take 2 days off and fished
        those days. I have used my fly rod in all places, in fact I only take
        the fly rod now. I used to take both a fly and spinning rod. At
        Hitchcock Lakes I caught the same sized fish as my two sons using it.
        I also had a bigger one on but it got away, REALLY. The truth tho is
        on big lakes the spinning rod has a slight advantaghe in being able to
        fish deeper than a fly. However, the fly rod is a lot more fun.