Fly fishing the JMT

  • packless
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
      After all the good suggestions about resupply, I will toss out
      another question.

      Should I pack along a fly rod?

      I suppose if I was more skilled with the fly rod, it might help with
      my resupply.
    • jimr_pdx
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
        I took my fly pole in 2000 after 15 years without a single cast.
        Caught two fish in ten minutes in Evolution Lake before losing one,
        then being skunked for an hour or two (due to my inept casting,
        losing flies & tying spontaneous snarl-knots). Also hooked a few in
        the creek near Colby Meadow, though none were successfully put in the
        pan. Therefore I'd have to say you can eat fish at times along the
        way, with little or no experience required.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@y..., packless <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > After all the good suggestions about resupply, I will toss out
        > another question.
        >
        > Should I pack along a fly rod?
        >
        > I suppose if I was more skilled with the fly rod, it might help
        with
        > my resupply.
      • hmdsierra
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
          > Should I pack along a fly rod?

          Never leave home without it. I almost always have fish to supplement
          my trail dinners. There are many good places to fish right along the
          trail. When my fried and I finished the last 100 miles of the trail
          we had the best fishing of our life, especially in the Kern Drainage.
          We did (reel) well at Wallace Lk. and had a 15 incher from Upper
          Hitchcock Lk for out last nights dinner. It was so big we had to cook
          it twice.
        • kb_haw
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2002
            --- In johnmuirtrail@y..., packless <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > After all the good suggestions about resupply, I will toss out
            > another question.
            >
            > Should I pack along a fly rod?
            >
            > I suppose if I was more skilled with the fly rod, it might help with
            > my resupply.

            I can't speak for the JMT, but I can relate from another hike. I took
            a pack fly rod along when my son and I hiked the Tahoe Yosemite Trail
            (TYT). It's 187 miles. What I discovered is that I did'nt fish as much
            as I would have liked due to long days and being tired. Fly fishing is
            also more limited in where you can fish and the setup time is longer.
            The change I made is that I bought an inexpensive ($50) combo spin/fly
            rod. I have a small box of lures/bait/etc, along with a fly reel and
            box of flys. This way I get more fishing because of the flexibility.
            Hope this helps.
          • hmdsierra
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2002
              >What I discovered is that I did'nt fish as much as I would have liked
              >due to long days and being tired.

              Actually our experience on JMT was somewhat similar. I though we'd
              make camp in time to do a little fishing. The reality was we
              usually arrived in time for dinner. We did take 2 days off and fished
              those days. I have used my fly rod in all places, in fact I only take
              the fly rod now. I used to take both a fly and spinning rod. At
              Hitchcock Lakes I caught the same sized fish as my two sons using it.
              I also had a bigger one on but it got away, REALLY. The truth tho is
              on big lakes the spinning rod has a slight advantaghe in being able to
              fish deeper than a fly. However, the fly rod is a lot more fun.