Re: Food per day

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2002
      > Here is a definition of "Yogi-ing" I found online:

      I've done this several times but never knew it had a name. Two times
      really stand out. My son and I got a full meal including dessert and
      campfire time until my wife arrived to pick us up. The other my
      friend and I got meals, beer, wine, and whiskey plus campfire songs
      accompanied by guitar. I guess it helps to look really bedraggled.
    • lostimnot
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2002
        I think how much food you take is one of the biggest areas where
        weight can be saved. As I don't cook much at home I just have a
        freeze-dried whatever for dinner; turkey jerky, fruit, and gorp for
        lunch, and instant oatmeal. It doesn't go much over one pound I
        don't think, but I don't weigh it as carefully as my base weight
        items. I almost always take more than I eat and am happy to find
        Yogi on the trail. I could lose 10 or 15 pounds, so skinnier hikers
        probably would need to take more. I often lose a few pounds if I'm
        out a week or more. Bob R

        --- In johnmuirtrail@y..., "dive_hike" <dive_hike@y...> wrote:
        > Bob,
        > For myself, I need about 1.5 pounds of food per day or I get REAL
        > hungry. I wouldn't short the food. For a 9 day hike, I would
        > normally bring about 13 1/2 pounds of food.
        >
        > Of course, the "Yogi-ing" is pretty good in the National Parks
        (most
        > hikers bring too much food and are willing to share).
      • hmdsierra
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2002
          I haven't weighed my food for a while but when I did keep track it ran
          about a pound a day per person. I actually cook on the trail. I
          prepack meals at home mainly rice or pasta based. I usually take a
          couple of cans of meat, SPAM, ham, or chicken. I also take bacon
          grease to fry the bread, fish, potatos, etc. I have skillet fread for
          every meal varying the mix depending on the meal, cornbread for
          mexican, oat orcoffee cake for breakfast. I once spent a few days
          with two guys who only had freeze dried meals. The eagerly took
          Pop-Tarts and SPAM I offered. They also salivated over my Red
          Beans and Rice while preparing their Chicken Teriyaki. It does take
          longer to prepare meals and I take a few more pans but they're fairly
          lightweight. At any rate no one has complained about the food and I
          don't generally lose weight over a pound or two. My friend lost a
          pound a day when we finished JMT over a two week period but he started
          at over 238 pounds and wanted to lose more.