Food per day

  • dive_hike
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2002
      Bob,
      For myself, I need about 1.5 pounds of food per day or I get REAL
      hungry. I wouldn't short the food. For a 9 day hike, I would
      normally bring about 13 1/2 pounds of food.

      Of course, the "Yogi-ing" is pretty good in the National Parks (most
      hikers bring too much food and are willing to share). I have taken
      advantage of the generosity of others, but it is tough to rely on.

      Have a great hike!
      Best, Bill

      Here is a definition of "Yogi-ing" I found online:
      Yogi–ing – It is considered poor etiquette to ask for food on
      the trail. Yogi-ing (after Yogi the bear) is the fine art of getting
      someone to offer you food without actually asking for it. A valuable
      skill, someone who can consistently score a yogi is much envied by
      those who can't. The best yogi's are usually scored when the
      trail goes by a state or National Park picnic ground where large
      family or church picnics are being held. The curious picknickers
      will often offer all kinds of goodies while listening to the hiker
      recount his usually exaggerated adventures.
      Source: http://users.erols.com/johndsc/glossary_of_terms.htm
    • hmdsierra
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2002
        > Here is a definition of "Yogi-ing" I found online:

        I've done this several times but never knew it had a name. Two times
        really stand out. My son and I got a full meal including dessert and
        campfire time until my wife arrived to pick us up. The other my
        friend and I got meals, beer, wine, and whiskey plus campfire songs
        accompanied by guitar. I guess it helps to look really bedraggled.
      • lostimnot
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2002
          I think how much food you take is one of the biggest areas where
          weight can be saved. As I don't cook much at home I just have a
          freeze-dried whatever for dinner; turkey jerky, fruit, and gorp for
          lunch, and instant oatmeal. It doesn't go much over one pound I
          don't think, but I don't weigh it as carefully as my base weight
          items. I almost always take more than I eat and am happy to find
          Yogi on the trail. I could lose 10 or 15 pounds, so skinnier hikers
          probably would need to take more. I often lose a few pounds if I'm
          out a week or more. Bob R

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 30, 2002
            I haven't weighed my food for a while but when I did keep track it ran
            about a pound a day per person. I actually cook on the trail. I
            prepack meals at home mainly rice or pasta based. I usually take a
            couple of cans of meat, SPAM, ham, or chicken. I also take bacon
            grease to fry the bread, fish, potatos, etc. I have skillet fread for
            every meal varying the mix depending on the meal, cornbread for
            mexican, oat orcoffee cake for breakfast. I once spent a few days
            with two guys who only had freeze dried meals. The eagerly took
            Pop-Tarts and SPAM I offered. They also salivated over my Red
            Beans and Rice while preparing their Chicken Teriyaki. It does take
            longer to prepare meals and I take a few more pans but they're fairly
            lightweight. At any rate no one has complained about the food and I
            don't generally lose weight over a pound or two. My friend lost a
            pound a day when we finished JMT over a two week period but he started
            at over 238 pounds and wanted to lose more.