Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Vermillion Valley or Muir Trail Ranch?

Expand Messages
  • paprovence
    ... Ranch ... Just my thoughts on this. I really like the owners and the people at Vermillion. They have gone out their way for myself and others. So I guess
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 28, 2002
    • 0 Attachment
      --- In johnmuirtrail@y..., packless <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Hi everyone,
      > I have heard about both Vermillion Valley Resort and Muir Trail
      Ranch
      > for resupply.
      > Any reason to choose one over the other for an August JMT trip?

      Just my thoughts on this. I really like the owners and the people at
      Vermillion. They have gone out their way for myself and others. So I
      guess my recommendation would be to use them and take a visit to
      their side of the lake.
    • snow_nymph_2000
      Last fall we wanted as little of civilization as possible. Next year we ll stop Vermillion. Heard it was a must do part of the trip. No icecream or sodas
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 28, 2002
      • 0 Attachment
        Last fall we wanted as little of civilization as possible. Next
        year we'll stop Vermillion. Heard it was a "must do" part of the
        trip.

        No icecream or sodas at Muir Ranch. Our friend brought our fuel in
        for us, along with sodas, home baked chicken and a few treats!
      • lostimnot
        Hi Packless. VVR and MTR are totally different. MTR is only useful as a resupply, but it s the most conveniently located if you re heading south - only 110
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 29, 2002
        • 0 Attachment
          Hi Packless. VVR and MTR are totally different. MTR is only useful
          as a resupply, but it's the most conveniently located if you're
          heading south - "only" 110 miles to Whitney Portal. VVR on the other
          hand has great food, beer, laundry, showers, a cell phone, a store
          with useful backpacking stuff, and some amazing people to swap trail
          stories with. Going south you have to head up Bear Ridge after the
          Lake Edison cut-off, so you may consider resupplying both places to
          keep from having to take all your food from VVR. My advice is don't
          skip VVR and if you don't mind shelling out $45 use Muir Trail Ranch
          for an additional rsupply. Have a great time, BobR

          --- In johnmuirtrail@y..., packless <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Hi everyone,
          > I have heard about both Vermillion Valley Resort and Muir Trail
          Ranch
          > for resupply.
          > Any reason to choose one over the other for an August JMT trip?
        • bogartmag
          I ve only been to MTR and not VVR, but a few things to keep in mind: In low water years late in the season the ferry stops running to VVR, which makes it
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 31, 2013
          • 0 Attachment
            I've only been to MTR and not VVR, but a few things to keep in mind:

            In low water years late in the season the ferry stops running to VVR, which makes it farther out of your way. I passed by last year at the beginning of August and the ferry had stopped. Those I met later on the trail had some great stories. Personally, I wasn't interested in a detour to drink beer, but if you are, it sounds like fun.

            I'm not sure about the feasibility of doing VVR and skipping MTR. For one thing, the day after VVR going south is really rough. You are low so it's hot and have a lot of altitude to regain. Loaded down with ~120 miles worth of food or whatever it is would be rough. Personally, I couldn't fit that much food into my bear can anyway.

            MTR is very convenient but only good for a resupply and its very limited store. You could spend the night if you don't mind spending a lot of money -- the food is supposed to be great.

            Sam

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "lostimnot" <richey35@...> wrote:
            >
            > Hi Packless. VVR and MTR are totally different. MTR is only useful
            > as a resupply, but it's the most conveniently located if you're
            > heading south - "only" 110 miles to Whitney Portal. VVR on the other
            > hand has great food, beer, laundry, showers, a cell phone, a store
            > with useful backpacking stuff, and some amazing people to swap trail
            > stories with. Going south you have to head up Bear Ridge after the
            > Lake Edison cut-off, so you may consider resupplying both places to
            > keep from having to take all your food from VVR. My advice is don't
            > skip VVR and if you don't mind shelling out $45 use Muir Trail Ranch
            > for an additional rsupply. Have a great time, BobR
            >
            > --- In johnmuirtrail@y..., packless <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > Hi everyone,
            > > I have heard about both Vermillion Valley Resort and Muir Trail
            > Ranch
            > > for resupply.
            > > Any reason to choose one over the other for an August JMT trip?
            >
          • ravi_jmt2013
            ... I m looking forward to MTR especially for the food. A tent cabin isn t cheap at $140 but it includes three meals plus use of the showers/bath and internet
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 31, 2013
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bogartmag" <bogartmag@...> wrote:
              > MTR is very convenient but only good for a resupply and its very limited store. You could spend the night if you don't mind spending a lot of money -- the food is supposed to be great.
              >

              I'm looking forward to MTR especially for the food. A tent cabin isn't cheap at $140 but it includes three meals plus use of the showers/bath and internet access. I've read about people who have dropped almost that much at VVR between the meals, beer, ferry ticket, showers, phone/internet, etc, and I don't think that includes the cost of a tent cabin. I suppose a big part of the typical VVR cost may be for beer and MTR doesn't serve alcohol but that doesn't bother me.

              I have an extra day of time between Red's and MTR and I might go into VVR if the ferry is running but since I'll be there in early September, it seems much more likely than not that the ferry will be out of service. My current plan to consume the extra day is to spend a night at both Marie Lake and Sallie Keys Lake with a very easy 2.3 mile day in between. My thinking right now is that I'd rather spend a zero/near zero in the wilderness than in civilization but I wonder if I'll feel that way 10 days into my hike...
            • bogartmag
              Great idea re: zero day! Spending a zero day at Marie lake is essentially what I did. I spent the afternoon chilling with some cool backpackers, met a few
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 31, 2013
              • 0 Attachment
                Great idea re: zero day! Spending a zero day at Marie lake is essentially what I did. I spent the afternoon chilling with some cool backpackers, met a few women with llamas carrying their gear, and ate a fried fish. Much better than any 'civilization' in my opinion.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ravi_jmt2013" <ravi@...> wrote:
                >
                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bogartmag" <bogartmag@> wrote:
                > > MTR is very convenient but only good for a resupply and its very limited store. You could spend the night if you don't mind spending a lot of money -- the food is supposed to be great.
                > >
                >
                > I'm looking forward to MTR especially for the food. A tent cabin isn't cheap at $140 but it includes three meals plus use of the showers/bath and internet access. I've read about people who have dropped almost that much at VVR between the meals, beer, ferry ticket, showers, phone/internet, etc, and I don't think that includes the cost of a tent cabin. I suppose a big part of the typical VVR cost may be for beer and MTR doesn't serve alcohol but that doesn't bother me.
                >
                > I have an extra day of time between Red's and MTR and I might go into VVR if the ferry is running but since I'll be there in early September, it seems much more likely than not that the ferry will be out of service. My current plan to consume the extra day is to spend a night at both Marie Lake and Sallie Keys Lake with a very easy 2.3 mile day in between. My thinking right now is that I'd rather spend a zero/near zero in the wilderness than in civilization but I wonder if I'll feel that way 10 days into my hike...
                >
              • Gail
                I m planning a tent cabin stay at MTR. One of the emails I got in answer to my questions said that the food, showers/bath, and washer are included but the
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 31, 2013
                • 0 Attachment
                  I'm planning a tent cabin stay at MTR. One of the emails I got in answer to my questions said that the food, showers/bath, and washer are included but the Internet is $10/15 min. - just so you know...

                  (That is for use of their laptop in their store, which is connected to satellite Internet. There is no wireless or 3G.)

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ravi_jmt2013" <ravi@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bogartmag" <bogartmag@> wrote:
                  > > MTR is very convenient but only good for a resupply and its very limited store. You could spend the night if you don't mind spending a lot of money -- the food is supposed to be great.
                  > >
                  >
                  > I'm looking forward to MTR especially for the food. A tent cabin isn't cheap at $140 but it includes three meals plus use of the showers/bath and internet access. I've read about people who have dropped almost that much at VVR between the meals, beer, ferry ticket, showers, phone/internet, etc, and I don't think that includes the cost of a tent cabin. I suppose a big part of the typical VVR cost may be for beer and MTR doesn't serve alcohol but that doesn't bother me.
                  >
                  > I have an extra day of time between Red's and MTR and I might go into VVR if the ferry is running but since I'll be there in early September, it seems much more likely than not that the ferry will be out of service. My current plan to consume the extra day is to spend a night at both Marie Lake and Sallie Keys Lake with a very easy 2.3 mile day in between. My thinking right now is that I'd rather spend a zero/near zero in the wilderness than in civilization but I wonder if I'll feel that way 10 days into my hike...
                  >
                • ravi_jmt2013
                  ... Thanks for that information. Seems reasonable to me. I ll probably end up using it twice... Once for outbound email to family and the next morning to
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 31, 2013
                  • 0 Attachment
                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Gail" <forgetwho@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > I'm planning a tent cabin stay at MTR. One of the emails I got in answer to my questions said that the food, showers/bath, and washer are included but the Internet is $10/15 min. - just so you know...
                    >
                    Thanks for that information. Seems reasonable to me. I'll probably end up using it twice... Once for outbound email to family and the next morning to check for replies.
                  • Don Amundson
                    Study up on how to operate a wringerwasher. The one at MTR is a classic (a bit more worn than this photo). To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com From:
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 31, 2013
                    • 0 Attachment
                       
                      Study up on how to operate a wringerwasher.  The one at MTR is a classic (a bit more worn than this photo).


                      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                      From: ravi@...
                      Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 18:07:28 +0000
                      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Vermillion Valley or Muir Trail Ranch?

                       
                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Gail" <forgetwho@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > I'm planning a tent cabin stay at MTR. One of the emails I got in answer to my questions said that the food, showers/bath, and washer are included but the Internet is $10/15 min. - just so you know...
                      >
                      Thanks for that information. Seems reasonable to me. I'll probably end up using it twice... Once for outbound email to family and the next morning to check for replies.







                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.