Planned section hike with map

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 9, 2009
      For anyone who's interested, here's a link to a Google Map of a JMT
      section hike I am planning. Start date July 19.

      http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=1026264300102977\
      54856.00046e3a5d67ea3354527&z=10

      <http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=102626430010297\
      754856.00046e3a5d67ea3354527&z=10>
      I am taking 5 days to hike SoBo from Florence Lake - Muir Trail Ranch
      (mile 108) to Pinchot Pass (mile 159.4) and then returning NoBo in
      another 5 days. My only planned sidetrip is at mile 139.1 where I plan
      to dayhike 4 miles RT to the Devil's Washbasin area (south down the
      Middle Fork of the Kings River).

      Anybody know that sidetrip? Is it worthwhile?

      So 10 days of hiking plus an easy day in and and an easy day out - total
      of 118 miles in 12 days.

      I'm resupplying some JMT thru-hiker youngsters at MTR and they have
      kindly offered to carry 8 lbs of my food for 20 miles from MTR and cache
      it for me in a Ursack at Muir Pass. I'll pick up 6 lbs SoBo and the
      remaining 2 lbs (and the Ursack) returning NoBo. So I have a 10 day
      hike without carrying more than 6 days of food at any point. Sweet.
      It's good to have young, sturdy friends.

      Heaviest weight for me (other than bringing in some fresh resupplies 5
      miles to MTR for the youngsters) should be about 30 lbs after picking up
      the cache SoBo from Muir Pass. But lots of the trip should be about 26
      lbs total weight.

      John Ladd

    • hmdsierra
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 9, 2009
        Any side trip in the Sierra is a good one. The scenery you will see is quite different from what you see on the JMT, almost moonscapish. My son and I went this way on our trip to Tehipite Valley.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John Ladd" <johnladd@...> wrote:

        > For anyone who's interested, here's a link to a Google Map of a JMT
        > section hike I am planning. Start date July 19.
        >
        > http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=1026264300102977\
        > 54856.00046e3a5d67ea3354527&z=10
        >
        > <http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=102626430010297\
        > 754856.00046e3a5d67ea3354527&z=10>
        > I am taking 5 days to hike SoBo from Florence Lake - Muir Trail Ranch
        > (mile 108) to Pinchot Pass (mile 159.4) and then returning NoBo in
        > another 5 days. My only planned sidetrip is at mile 139.1 where I plan
        > to dayhike 4 miles RT to the Devil's Washbasin area (south down the
        > Middle Fork of the Kings River).
        >
        > Anybody know that sidetrip? Is it worthwhile?
        >
        > So 10 days of hiking plus an easy day in and and an easy day out - total
        > of 118 miles in 12 days.
        >
        > I'm resupplying some JMT thru-hiker youngsters at MTR and they have
        > kindly offered to carry 8 lbs of my food for 20 miles from MTR and cache
        > it for me in a Ursack at Muir Pass. I'll pick up 6 lbs SoBo and the
        > remaining 2 lbs (and the Ursack) returning NoBo. So I have a 10 day
        > hike without carrying more than 6 days of food at any point. Sweet.
        > It's good to have young, sturdy friends.
        >
        > Heaviest weight for me (other than bringing in some fresh resupplies 5
        > miles to MTR for the youngsters) should be about 30 lbs after picking up
        > the cache SoBo from Muir Pass. But lots of the trip should be about 26
        > lbs total weight.
        >
        > John Ladd

      • targetdoggmechanic
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 9, 2009
          I did a loop from roads end in cedar grove (KCNP) and went up copper creek trail, over granite pass to simpson meadow, east to JMT via middle fork kings river trail, over mather pass, pinchot pass, and down woods creek trail back to roads end to complete the loop. From simpson meadow to the JMT took less than 1/2 day. It was a nice hike with a few nice camp sites along the way, a little overgrown in a few areas but not a bushwack by any means. Crossing palisade creek to reach the JMT was about waist deep at most and it was an average snowfall year. There used to be a bridge there but it was washed out in '82. You get nice views of the middle fork cascades and falls, lots of flowers, and nice craggy rock formations along the way. I'd do it again, but I wouldnt camp at simpson meadow. Lots of flies and mosquitos. I would camp higher up for sure, I think there is a bridge 1/2 way between simpson and the JMT, a nice site right after it.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John Ladd" <johnladd@...> wrote:

          > For anyone who's interested, here's a link to a Google Map of a JMT
          > section hike I am planning. Start date July 19.
          >
          > http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=1026264300102977\
          > 54856.00046e3a5d67ea3354527&z=10
          >
          > <http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=102626430010297\
          > 754856.00046e3a5d67ea3354527&z=10>
          > I am taking 5 days to hike SoBo from Florence Lake - Muir Trail Ranch
          > (mile 108) to Pinchot Pass (mile 159.4) and then returning NoBo in
          > another 5 days. My only planned sidetrip is at mile 139.1 where I plan
          > to dayhike 4 miles RT to the Devil's Washbasin area (south down the
          > Middle Fork of the Kings River).
          >
          > Anybody know that sidetrip? Is it worthwhile?
          >
          > So 10 days of hiking plus an easy day in and and an easy day out - total
          > of 118 miles in 12 days.
          >
          > I'm resupplying some JMT thru-hiker youngsters at MTR and they have
          > kindly offered to carry 8 lbs of my food for 20 miles from MTR and cache
          > it for me in a Ursack at Muir Pass. I'll pick up 6 lbs SoBo and the
          > remaining 2 lbs (and the Ursack) returning NoBo. So I have a 10 day
          > hike without carrying more than 6 days of food at any point. Sweet.
          > It's good to have young, sturdy friends.
          >
          > Heaviest weight for me (other than bringing in some fresh resupplies 5
          > miles to MTR for the youngsters) should be about 30 lbs after picking up
          > the cache SoBo from Muir Pass. But lots of the trip should be about 26
          > lbs total weight.
          >
          > John Ladd

        • hmdsierra
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 9, 2009
            You were moving right along to do it in half a day. I believe the Palisade Ck bridge washed out in '83 because it was there in mid August '82. The bridge at Simpson Mdw washed out the same year. The other bridge you saw is at Cartridge Ck. When my son and I went to Tehipite Valley we camped there and it was a nice spot.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "targetdoggmechanic" <targetdoggmechanic@...> wrote:

            > I did a loop from roads end in cedar grove (KCNP) and went up copper creek trail, over granite pass to simpson meadow, east to JMT via middle fork kings river trail, over mather pass, pinchot pass, and down woods creek trail back to roads end to complete the loop. From simpson meadow to the JMT took less than 1/2 day. It was a nice hike with a few nice camp sites along the way, a little overgrown in a few areas but not a bushwack by any means. Crossing palisade creek to reach the JMT was about waist deep at most and it was an average snowfall year. There used to be a bridge there but it was washed out in '82. You get nice views of the middle fork cascades and falls, lots of flowers, and nice craggy rock formations along the way. I'd do it again, but I wouldnt camp at simpson meadow. Lots of flies and mosquitos. I would camp higher up for sure, I think there is a bridge 1/2 way between simpson and the JMT, a nice site right after it.
            >
            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John Ladd" <johnladd@> wrote:
            > >
            > > For anyone who's interested, here's a link to a Google Map of a JMT
            > > section hike I am planning. Start date July 19.
            > >
            > > http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=1026264300102977\
            > > 54856.00046e3a5d67ea3354527&z=10
            > >
            > > <http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=102626430010297\
            > > 754856.00046e3a5d67ea3354527&z=10>
            > > I am taking 5 days to hike SoBo from Florence Lake - Muir Trail Ranch
            > > (mile 108) to Pinchot Pass (mile 159.4) and then returning NoBo in
            > > another 5 days. My only planned sidetrip is at mile 139.1 where I plan
            > > to dayhike 4 miles RT to the Devil's Washbasin area (south down the
            > > Middle Fork of the Kings River).
            > >
            > > Anybody know that sidetrip? Is it worthwhile?
            > >
            > > So 10 days of hiking plus an easy day in and and an easy day out - total
            > > of 118 miles in 12 days.
            > >
            > > I'm resupplying some JMT thru-hiker youngsters at MTR and they have
            > > kindly offered to carry 8 lbs of my food for 20 miles from MTR and cache
            > > it for me in a Ursack at Muir Pass. I'll pick up 6 lbs SoBo and the
            > > remaining 2 lbs (and the Ursack) returning NoBo. So I have a 10 day
            > > hike without carrying more than 6 days of food at any point. Sweet.
            > > It's good to have young, sturdy friends.
            > >
            > > Heaviest weight for me (other than bringing in some fresh resupplies 5
            > > miles to MTR for the youngsters) should be about 30 lbs after picking up
            > > the cache SoBo from Muir Pass. But lots of the trip should be about 26
            > > lbs total weight.
            > >
            > > John Ladd

          • targetdoggmechanic
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 10, 2009
              Yeah it was a power slog for sure. I ate lunch at that site and wished I pushed farther the day before but it was late when I got to simpson meadow, and it was a grueling downhill stretch from Dougherty Meadow and granite pass which I did the same day, starting from Granite lake. Perhaps that put me in better shape for the next day, or trying to get to the JMT before one of the best thunderstorms I have ever been in. I tried to get to Deer meadows for the night but I decided to stop at the nice jeffrey pine sheltered sites at the middle fork/JMT junction. It was early in the year so there was lots of firewood to burn and dry my clothes a little.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 10, 2009
                Thanks for the useful information. I don't think I'll get as far as
                Simpson, but I definitely have to ford Palisade Creek.

                The bridge and campsite you mention might be at Cartridge Creek. It's a
                little closer to Simpson Meadow than to the JMT, but it is the only
                significant stream crossing see on that stretch. I'll keep it in mind for
                future trips. This trip, I think I'll sleep on the JMT and just dayhike
                with a light pack down Middle Fork.

                San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
                415-648-9279 (voice and fax)

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 10, 2009
                  Sorry. Hadn't seen this when I commented about Cartridge Creek. Thanks for
                  the confirming information.

                  San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
                  415-648-9279 (voice and fax)

                  On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 11:47 PM, hmdsierra <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  > You were moving right along to do it in half a day. I believe the Palisade
                  > Ck bridge washed out in '83 because it was there in mid August '82. The
                  > bridge at Simpson Mdw washed out the same year. The other bridge you saw is
                  > at Cartridge Ck. When my son and I went to Tehipite Valley we camped there
                  > and it was a nice spot.

                • onkelb0b
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 10, 2009
                    I crossed Palisade Creek a couple of three years back (2006) approaching it from Simpson Meadow towards Mather Pass. The "ford" (not really a ford in classic sense) at the trail junction is deep, swift, and dangerous (or at least looked that way to me). I had met two other hikers who came from the other way, and they said they crossed the creek far upstream, on the bend where it is still. Arriving at the remnants of the bridge in the afternoon, I camped there. In the morning I walked up the creek some, (about an hour?) and found a _big_log_ and another one that were across the creek. It was an easy crossing, but I'm comfortable walking above white water. The other end of logs are a bit far from the JMT, I remember having to go through some moist undergrowth to reach it. I reached Deer Meadow by 10?