[John Muir Trail] Re: A Great Resource

  • snow_nymph_2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2002
      There are bear boxes at the Onion Valley campground (and probably at
      the trailhead too), but your stuff might not be there when you go to
      pick it up (car campers). I would hike the cache to Charlotte Lake
      (8 mi hike in from Onion Valley) and leave it at the bear boxes
      there. Put your name on it and be sure to put down that its for a
      resupply and the date you expect to pick it up. No guarantee that
      it will be there, but your chances are better than leaving it at the
      trailhead. The best way is to find friends to hike it in and meet
      you (if you can find someone).

      You can probably hitch a ride to get your car. Most bp'ers will
      pick a person up with a pack. We got 3 rides from WP to Mammoth
      (where we left our vehicles) within 5 min of sticking the thumb out.

      If Sierra Mel is not on a trip, she can resupply you (llamas).
      Check on "members" and check her profile for her e-mail. She was
      booked at the time we needed our resupply.
    • lostimnot
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 29, 2002
        Thanks for the Charlotte Lake idea, SN. That's an intriguing
        alternative. I wonder if the rangers would give you a hard time if
        they found out about using a bear box as a cache. I've got a spare
        bear can I could use as a cache. Maybe stashing the can near the JMT
        cut-off for Kearsarge Pass could be a plan. What do you think? None
        of my friends are into backpacking anymore except for a couple of
        hyper rock climbing types. Relying on them for calories could be a
        tragic disappointment.

        The problem with hitching out is that I will finish at Horseshoe
        Meadows. Know where that is? Nobody else does either. I've been
        there only once, but there's 1/10 the traffic of Whitney Portal at
        best.

        Somehow it will work out. I can always arrange for a paid shuttle
        and take all my food for the whole 115 miles. I've got my base pack
        weight including canister to 15#. So if I can stay at 1#/day of food
        and hike 13 miles/day, I'm at 24# + water. That should work. 23
        days and counting!

        BobR

        --- In johnmuirtrail@y..., "snow_nymph_2000" <snownymph@s...> wrote:
        > There are bear boxes at the Onion Valley campground (and probably
        at
        > the trailhead too), but your stuff might not be there when you go
        > pick it up (car campers). I would hike the cache to Charlotte Lake
        > (8 mi hike in from Onion Valley) and leave it at the bear boxes
        > there. Put your name on it and be sure to put down that its for a
        > resupply and the date you expect to pick it up. No guarantee that
        > it will be there, but your chances are better than leaving it at
        the
        > trailhead. The best way is to find friends to hike it in and meet
        > you (if you can find someone).
        >
        > You can probably hitch a ride to get your car. Most bp'ers will
        > pick a person up with a pack. We got 3 rides from WP to Mammoth
        > (where we left our vehicles) within 5 min of sticking the thumb out.
        >
        > If Sierra Mel is not on a trip, she can resupply you (llamas).
        > Check on "members" and check her profile for her e-mail. She was
        > booked at the time we needed our resupply.
      • Tom Hill
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2002
          Sprain your ankle on Whitney.

          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com