Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: A Great Resource

  • richey35@cs.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2002
      Hi. I'll be hiking the last section of the JMT solo from South Lake over the
      Bishop Pass starting 7/21. Unfortunately I waited too long to get a permit
      so I'll be starting a week earlier than I had planned. So more bugs and
      perhaps more involved stream crossings. The worst part of the permit deal,
      though, is that there are no exit slots to hike out to Whitney Portal, so
      after climbing Whitney I have to exit over Cottonwood Pass to Horseshoe
      Meadows. This will mean 115 miles without resupply, which is tough for a
      committed ounce weenie like me. Does anybody have any ideas for resupply
      over Kearsarge Pass and transportation between Horseshoe Meadows and South
      Lake. For resupply I was thinking of taking one day to go to Onion Valley
      and back. Question is: where could I leave my resupply? Are there any bear
      boxes at the road end at Onion VValley? I''m thinking of leaving my car at
      Horseshoe and arranging a shuttle from Kounty Korners or Randy's Ride. Any
      recommendations for either of these problems? Thanks, Bob Richey

      In a message dated 6/27/02 8:45:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      snownymph@... writes:

      << We did the JMT last fall in 30 days, and resupplied at Tuolumne,
      Reds Meadow, Muir Ranch and Charlotte Lake. We dropped small
      packages off at the first 2 on the way in, and mailed a bucket to
      Muir Ranch (~$45 + s/h). A friend hiked in to Muir Ranch with our
      fuel, and took out some clothes. Some internet friends brought in
      the last cache to Charlotte Lake. We were climbing Split Mtn on
      9/11 and didn't hear about it til 3 days later. Our friends still
      made the trip, and even brought newspapers to show us what was going
      on! >>
    • snow_nymph_2000
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 28, 2002
        There are bear boxes at the Onion Valley campground (and probably at
        the trailhead too), but your stuff might not be there when you go to
        pick it up (car campers). I would hike the cache to Charlotte Lake
        (8 mi hike in from Onion Valley) and leave it at the bear boxes
        there. Put your name on it and be sure to put down that its for a
        resupply and the date you expect to pick it up. No guarantee that
        it will be there, but your chances are better than leaving it at the
        trailhead. The best way is to find friends to hike it in and meet
        you (if you can find someone).

        You can probably hitch a ride to get your car. Most bp'ers will
        pick a person up with a pack. We got 3 rides from WP to Mammoth
        (where we left our vehicles) within 5 min of sticking the thumb out.

        If Sierra Mel is not on a trip, she can resupply you (llamas).
        Check on "members" and check her profile for her e-mail. She was
        booked at the time we needed our resupply.
      • lostimnot
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 29, 2002
          Thanks for the Charlotte Lake idea, SN. That's an intriguing
          alternative. I wonder if the rangers would give you a hard time if
          they found out about using a bear box as a cache. I've got a spare
          bear can I could use as a cache. Maybe stashing the can near the JMT
          cut-off for Kearsarge Pass could be a plan. What do you think? None
          of my friends are into backpacking anymore except for a couple of
          hyper rock climbing types. Relying on them for calories could be a
          tragic disappointment.

          The problem with hitching out is that I will finish at Horseshoe
          Meadows. Know where that is? Nobody else does either. I've been
          there only once, but there's 1/10 the traffic of Whitney Portal at
          best.

          Somehow it will work out. I can always arrange for a paid shuttle
          and take all my food for the whole 115 miles. I've got my base pack
          weight including canister to 15#. So if I can stay at 1#/day of food
          and hike 13 miles/day, I'm at 24# + water. That should work. 23
          days and counting!

          BobR

          --- In johnmuirtrail@y..., "snow_nymph_2000" <snownymph@s...> wrote:
          > There are bear boxes at the Onion Valley campground (and probably
          at
          > the trailhead too), but your stuff might not be there when you go
          > pick it up (car campers). I would hike the cache to Charlotte Lake
          > (8 mi hike in from Onion Valley) and leave it at the bear boxes
          > there. Put your name on it and be sure to put down that its for a
          > resupply and the date you expect to pick it up. No guarantee that
          > it will be there, but your chances are better than leaving it at
          the
          > trailhead. The best way is to find friends to hike it in and meet
          > you (if you can find someone).
          >
          > You can probably hitch a ride to get your car. Most bp'ers will
          > pick a person up with a pack. We got 3 rides from WP to Mammoth
          > (where we left our vehicles) within 5 min of sticking the thumb out.
          >
          > If Sierra Mel is not on a trip, she can resupply you (llamas).
          > Check on "members" and check her profile for her e-mail. She was
          > booked at the time we needed our resupply.
        • Tom Hill
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 30, 2002
            Sprain your ankle on Whitney.

            http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com