RE: [John Muir Trail] Tuolumne Meadows Post Office

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2009
      Bill,
      address looks good. You don't need to write anything on it, but an expected arrival date and no, you don't need a bucket. You might also print your last name on each side, since they'll be shoving it up on a shelf. If you get to the store/p.o. and the guy's not in the window or it's after five, just ask in the store and there's a good chance they can pull it out for you, no problem.

      bob

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: backpackerman@...
      Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 15:22:20 -0700
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Tuolumne Meadows Post Office

      I just wanted to confirm a couple of things regarding mailing a food cache to Tuolumne Meadows.

      The address I have is as follows:

      Your Name

      c/o General Delivery

      Tuolumne Meadows

      Yosemite National Park, CA 95389

      Is this still the correct address?

      Do you typically mark on the outside what the package is for, expected arrival date, etc?

      Since this is going directly to a post office, I'm planning on using a cardboard box rather than a 5 gallon bucket like I'm doing for Muir Trail Ranch. Will that be adaquate?

      Thanks,

      Bill Plesha

    • Bill Plesha
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6, 2009
        Great.

        Thanks Bob

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 2009
          If not a paint bucket, I'd suggest a box that looks as different as possible
          from any other box. They get so many that it is difficult to find yours.

          Easy location is an advantage of a paint bucket if it is distinct (I have a
          bright yellow one). And the bucket is mouse protection inside the Post
          Office. Some years they get mice -- other years not.

          I'm in the habit of mailing my bucket back to myself. I include return
          labels and some tape inside the bucket for the return leg and include
          whatever equipment I had thought I needed leaving Yosemite Valley that I've
          decided by Tuolumne that I no longer need. (I'm still doing that after all
          these years.) The postage is about the cost of a new bucket, and I've
          gotten fond of mine. Also, if you plan to return it, you can include some
          might-or-might-not-need supplies in it. E.g., if you've used none of your
          first aid kit, you mail the extra bandaids back to yourself; but if you have
          raided it, you have replacements. Also works to get yourself clean socks
          and underwear etc. -- clean stuff comes from the bucket and dirty stuff you
          mail back.

          San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
          415-648-9279 (voice and fax)

          On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 4:10 PM, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...>wrote:

          > Bill,
          > address looks good. You don't need to write anything on it, but an expected
          > arrival date and no, you don't need a bucket. You might also print your last
          > name on each side, since they'll be shoving it up on a shelf. If you get to
          > the store/p.o. and the guy's not in the window or it's after five, just ask
          > in the store and there's a good chance they can pull it out for you, no
          > problem.
          >
          > bob
          >
          > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com <johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
          > From: backpackerman@... <backpackerman%40cox.net>
          > Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 15:22:20 -0700
          > Subject: [John Muir Trail] Tuolumne Meadows Post Office
          >

          > I just wanted to confirm a couple of things regarding mailing a food cache
          > to Tuolumne Meadows.
          >
          > The address I have is as follows:
          >
          > Your Name
          >
          > c/o General Delivery
          >
          > Tuolumne Meadows
          >
          > Yosemite National Park, CA 95389
          >
          > Is this still the correct address?
          >
          > Do you typically mark on the outside what the package is for, expected
          > arrival date, etc?
          >
          > Since this is going directly to a post office, I'm planning on using a
          > cardboard box rather than a 5 gallon bucket like I'm doing for Muir Trail
          > Ranch. Will that be adaquate?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Bill Plesha

        • martinward1234
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 25, 2014
            Hi all,

            My JMT itinerary has me passing through Tuolumne Meadows over the weekend and I understand the the Post Office is only opened on Saturdays between 9 and 12, so it's unlikely that we'll get there before it closes.  I've seen comments that suggest that you may still be able to collect your resupply package by asking in the adjoining store? Has anyone had experience with collecting their packages over a weekend?

            Many thanks in advance,
            Martin
          • forgetwho

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 26, 2014
                Thanks for sharing your past experience, makes me feel a little more comfortable.