Compressed version - Elizabeth Wenk's JMT mileage-elevation data points

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2009
      Elizabeth Wenk and Wilderness Press have been kind enough to allow us to include in the files section of this group an Excel spreadsheet file showing the milepost and elevation of every campsite, trail junction, bearbox and ranger station along the entire JMT. I have reformatted this information so that it is easier to bring on the trail. It now can be found in both PDF and Word format in the files section of the group under the names:

      Compressed data points JMT SoBo.pdf
      Compressed data points JMT SoBo.doc

      Either of these can be printed double-sided on 2 sheets of paper (or single-sided on four). It is arranged in 4 columns. I tend to cut mine into 4 strips per page and fold the strips so that they fit in a shirt pocket. Or trim the strips slightly and fit them into a small 4-mil Ziplock (it will fit the 3x5 size well).

      I've also included a nice elevation graphic courtesy of Brian O'Kelly.

      The (highly recommended) book is:
      John Muir Trail: The Essential Guide to Hiking America's Most Famous Trail (John Muir Trail) (Paperback), 4th Edition, ISBN 0-89997-436-8, 256 pages, 5 1/2 x 8 1/2, $17.95 by Elizabeth Wenk with Kathy Morey

      http://www.wildernesspress.com/book328.htm

      To order from Amazon.com
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0899974368/ref=nosim/wilderpressou-20

      To find a local independent bookstore near you
      http://www.booksense.com/
      or call 800-443-7227

      John Ladd
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2009
        By the way, if anyone notes errors, or significant information to add,
        let me know and I will update these documents. In particular, I'd
        like to add info on the location of all the bridges (I have added some
        but not taken the time to do all), note difficult fords, add fishing
        hints, etc.

        Just make a private reply adn I will keep track of corrections. They
        may not get made this hiking season, but I'll make them for next year.

        Formatting suggestions will also be considered (e.g., does the shading
        look too dark on a home printer).

        San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
        415-648-9279 (voice and fax)