weather conditions/snow question

  • rgillespie6
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2009
      JMT Group,

      I know to expect possible thunderstorms and showers, but should I be considered about large amounts of the snow, or even snow showers, in higher elevations?

      Thanks once again,

      Bill Gillespie
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2009
        Bill -

        My thoughts.

        In late July and August and early September, snow is unlikely, though any
        weather is possible in Sierra weather. And snow is not particularly hard to
        deal with -- cold rain or sleet are significantly more difficult. If you
        are prepared for a night of cold rain, and you should be, snow should not be
        a problem.

        Snow can obscure the trail. But there are enough people on the JMT that you
        shouldn't be able to lose the trail. If you can't see the trail due to snow,
        wait for someone to come along with good navigational skills or just for a
        crowd to cut a trail.

        If it is unusually cold, watch out for ice in the early morning,
        particularly if you are rock-hoping a stream. But even that problem I
        haven't seen in the summer months.

        San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
        415-648-9279 (voice and fax)

      • Peter Klein
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5, 2009
          You're much more likely to get hail during a thunderstorm. But it should be
          gone
          in an hour or so.