Re: [John Muir Trail] Boot recommendations

  • Bob Bankhead
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5, 2009
      Merrell Moab Ventilator Mid

      Now available in a WIDE as well this year. HOORAY!
      Really like the Ventilator shoe; bought it because the boot didn't come in a wide in 2207.

      http://www.rei.com/product/748510#pr-header-748510

    • Jon Sterling
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 2009
        I'll be taking my Vibram Five Fingers for stream crossings and the
        parts of the trail that aren't too rocky. After a few weeks of
        wearing them everywhere around San Diego, my feet have never felt
        better.

        http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

        I'm still undecided on the New Balance trail shoes vs. lightweight
        boots for the rest of the trail. The ankle injury risk is my biggest
        concern with the New Balance option, so we'll see. Has anyone
        completed the whole trail in New Balance shoes?

        Jon

        On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Bob Bankhead<wandering_bob@...> wrote:

        > Merrell Moab Ventilator Mid
        >
        > Now available in a WIDE as well this year. HOORAY!
        > Really like the Ventilator shoe; bought it because the boot didn't come in a
        > wide in 2207.
        >
        > http://www.rei.com/product/748510#pr-header-748510

        Would you like to learn about real estate in San Diego?
        www.sandiegomodernhome.com/blog
      • jeff.hester
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 5, 2009
          Thanks for the tips! The Merrill Ventilator looks comfortable, but are they waterproof? I didn't see any mention.

          Also, I've seen some people shy away from "waterproof membrane" claiming that leaves a whole lot a shoe to still get wet and saturated. I see it more as a weight/performance tradeoff.

          I'll check them out as well as the Lowa (my son owns an older pair). I might even look at the newer Vasque -- the old ones served me well.

          The FiveFingers thing looks crazy! I'd seen them before, but shrugged them off as a novelty. Looking at the site more closely, I'm intrigued. I'v usually carried a pair of Teva sandals for stream crossing and wearing around camp. I might give FiveFingers a try, but boots are the first priority.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 5, 2009
            Lots of the people who hike all the way from Mexico to Canada use trail
            runners, or even Keen-style sandals, so it can be done. Their theory is
            that weight on the feet slows you down even more than weight anywhere else.
            they also believe that boots dry too slowly and that trail runners allow
            them to cross streams without changing to change footwear.

            That said, I'd never hike more than 10 miles in the Sierras without

            -- a good, solid set of boots that I have personally lovingly waterproofed
            with the best stuff I can buy (wax or silicone based). I would almost never
            trust a claim that boots are waterproof if I haven't done it myself. I've
            used Sno-seal but I'm suspect the Nikwax products are quite good. Don't buy
            something that uses ease of application as it's main selling point. Good
            waterproofing takes time and effort.

            separate footwear to cross streams (so the boots stay dry). Crocs secured
            with velcro straps (either bought with velcro straps or hand-retrofitted
            with velcro) are great stream-crossers and (with fresh socks) comfortable
            camp shoes at the end of the day (they absorb no water so they are dry by
            the time you reach camp). There are other options here, but everything else
            I have seen is either heavier or less secure on the foot, or not useful as a
            camp shoe.

            -- If I expect much rain or snow, I'd bring gaiters to help keep the boots
            dry. Even in good weather, I wear low gaiters (desert gaiters) to keep
            trail junk out of the boots (more comfortable and prevents blisters).

            -- And both liner socks and good thick wool socks.

            Boots (esp. trekking poles) really help your ability to go downhill fast.
            Gravity becomes your friend on the downhills if you are confident about your
            ankles.

            Boots vs. trail runners is a good way to start a argument on trail. People
            who believe in boots are usually as set into their views as people who
            prefer trail runners.

            Things that might lead you to trail runners

            Your total weight (not just base weight) is under 25 lbs.
            You are covering 20+ miles per day
            You are young
            You are a regular cross-country runner so your ankles are very strong

            But even if all 4 were true, I'd try to talk you into boots.

            I've found that the clerks in the boot department at REI-San Francisco give
            very good advice. I assume that they must get good training from REI, so
            hopefully they are helpful elsewhere also. If you get a clerk who seems
            inexperienced, I'd ask him which of his colleagues best knows hiking boots.

            I wear Asolo's and have been very happy with them. I'm not sure they still
            sell the exact model I've used, but the following boot looks very similar
            and costs just under $200 (I got it much cheaper at a used gear sale with
            minimal prior usage)

            Asolo Fugitive GTX Hiking Boots

            http://www.rei.com/product/706762

            But boots are very individual, and just because I like these does not mean
            you will.

            San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
            415-648-9279 (voice and fax)

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5, 2009
              No, the Merrell is not waterproof - deliberately. Remember the name - Moab Ventilator; it is designed for maximum ventilation (i.e. desert areas) and because of the open mesh, drains easily and dries quickly when wet. Basically, you just walk on through the water and keep hiking.

              That said, some folks prefer to stop and remove their boot liners (if they're absorbant) and maybe their socks, replace the boots, cross, and then reverse the process. Others wade through, then remove, wring out, and replace their socks and keep walking. To my way of thinking, if you're going to take the time to do all that, why not just switch into a pair of crocs for the wet crossing, then go back to totally dry shoes? Me - I'll just walk on through and squish down the trail while my boots drain and dry naturally.

            • Rich Ehli
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 5, 2009
                The Goretex membrane will eventually fail from the constant flexing of
                the boot. At least that has been my experience.But while it now lets
                water in, the membrane still works to keep the heat generated by the
                foot inside the boot.