Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: JMT Side Trips

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 3, 2009
      I agree with this (see below about Ediza and Iceberg) -- sorry I forgot
      about it before. Mosquitoes can be fierce on parts of the Lake Ediza trail,
      but I don't know that it is much different from elsewhere at similar
      elevations. Good trail and a nice way to drop your pack for awhile and hike
      up and back in a day.

      San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
      415-648-9279 (voice and fax)

      On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 2:48 PM, hmdsierra <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > I would definately go up Shadow Ck to Lk Ediza and on to Iceberg Lk. that
      > puts you almost underneath The Minerets.

    • lucas.golub
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 11, 2009
        Just got back from my thru hike. I tried several of Wenk's side trips. The number one feeling I have after doing them is that the descriptions/directions for off-trail hikes are very poor (and I have many other complaints about the book, feeling is was quite sub par as an on-trail guide). You'd be best off picking a point and getting there yourself with a map and compass.

        Cloud's Rest: very much worth it, if you don't mind the additional elevation gain and steep climbing right out of the gate. It's a good bit further than the book says it is.

        Red Cones: worth it. Though it requires morning or mid-day lighting to really make the Ritters look their best.

        Black Giant: Nice views but not so much better than you already get from various parts of the trail. The directions were particularly bad for this one.

        Tawney Point: Whitney ends up giving you a much more dramatic view of the area, but this was a very nice place to enhance the Bighorn Plateau experience. Again directions were bad; I ended up on a steep talus slope when this peak was supposed to be a walk in the park.

        My advice: moreso than peakbagging, it's great to camp at some magical locations (Upper Basin, Bighorn Plateau) and explore them in depth. Also, after reading The Last Summer on my trip home, I wish I'd explored one off-trail area like Lakes Basin.

        Hope this helps,
        Lucas

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "George" <perrito_blanco@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone here taken any of the side trips mentioned in Appendix E of
        > Wenk's book? How did you like them and were they worth the extra time
        > and effort? I'm definitely taking the Half Dome trek, crowds or not.
        >
        > I'm planning for an August 2009 trip and will be able to take 3 weeks
        > off from work. I envision starting in the middle of the month and
        > getting back to NJ on Labor Day weekend. I'd like to make the most of
        > my trip of course and some of these side trips look interesting. Any
        > and all comments are welcome.

      • hmdsierra
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 11, 2009
          I'm sure you've made a list, a long list, of places along the way to spend more time discovering. When my sone and I did JMT we pretty much breezed through only taking two days off to look around. We made up for it in later trips to as many of the places that caught our attention. We only scratched the surface as there are so many and so little time. Had I stayed in California I intended to spend the rest of my life doing the same. Taking the time in one area lets you know it so much more.