RE: [John Muir Trail] JMT Side Trips

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 3, 2009
      Bill,
      This being San francisco, we got the hell out of here today��drove 20 minutes and left the fog behind. Did some pool swimming up in warm, Marin County.
      I was thinking that Wotan's Throne was/is on the east side of whitney . . . but maybe it's not the peak that they guy bought it on.
      http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/208295/wotans-throne.html

      Yeah, looks like a nice scramble on your last night . . . I've camped up top of Whitney six of my eight JMT's and once I get started on my way down, there's no stopping (for wotan or the ghost of John Muir, or . . . ) and I would think you'd feel the same way, but . . . last summer, I hit the summit and came down to trail camp and I had a few good hours to kill. should have done Wotan.
      Maybe this time��but even a busy trail camp is wonderfully serene at sunset and the knowledge that you've only got a wake up and a few more miles to go��that can really have a pull on things like, side-trips, and if you're just like me, it's, "the hell with that and just get out of my way."
      If you've got the urge to do some side trips, I'd try and knock them out before you hit Glen or Forester, because, (again, just me) you're going to be juiced and ready to get it on with Whitney and get out of there. I admire anyone who at that point can sit still, or decide to take another day and do a side-trip, regardless of the length . . . I'm just thinking, burger, beer, bed . . .
      Split looks great, but again, plan an entire day around it, I think.
      One of my absolute favorite short hikes is the climb up to the base, or thereabouts of Lyell Peak. If you put in a good pace going up Lyell Canyon and (and have a few hours of daylight left ) up the switch-backs, cross the river, go up another 20 minutes or so and get to the tarn and the crossing that heads up to Donahue. Stop here. good camp spots (although I won't say where!) around here, but just look up at those peaks behind you . . . you can hike up into the heavens there, but it's really a good idea to walk very carefully, or have someone with you if you go up��it's just another off the trail spot where, no one will hear you if you yell.
      okay, must go out into the fug.
      bob

      Hotmail� has ever-growing storage! Don�t worry about storage limits. Check it out.
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 3, 2009
        I agree with this (see below about Ediza and Iceberg) -- sorry I forgot
        about it before. Mosquitoes can be fierce on parts of the Lake Ediza trail,
        but I don't know that it is much different from elsewhere at similar
        elevations. Good trail and a nice way to drop your pack for awhile and hike
        up and back in a day.

        San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
        415-648-9279 (voice and fax)

        On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 2:48 PM, hmdsierra <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > I would definately go up Shadow Ck to Lk Ediza and on to Iceberg Lk. that
        > puts you almost underneath The Minerets.

      • lucas.golub
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 11, 2009
          Just got back from my thru hike. I tried several of Wenk's side trips. The number one feeling I have after doing them is that the descriptions/directions for off-trail hikes are very poor (and I have many other complaints about the book, feeling is was quite sub par as an on-trail guide). You'd be best off picking a point and getting there yourself with a map and compass.

          Cloud's Rest: very much worth it, if you don't mind the additional elevation gain and steep climbing right out of the gate. It's a good bit further than the book says it is.

          Red Cones: worth it. Though it requires morning or mid-day lighting to really make the Ritters look their best.

          Black Giant: Nice views but not so much better than you already get from various parts of the trail. The directions were particularly bad for this one.

          Tawney Point: Whitney ends up giving you a much more dramatic view of the area, but this was a very nice place to enhance the Bighorn Plateau experience. Again directions were bad; I ended up on a steep talus slope when this peak was supposed to be a walk in the park.

          My advice: moreso than peakbagging, it's great to camp at some magical locations (Upper Basin, Bighorn Plateau) and explore them in depth. Also, after reading The Last Summer on my trip home, I wish I'd explored one off-trail area like Lakes Basin.

          Hope this helps,
          Lucas

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "George" <perrito_blanco@...> wrote:

          > Has anyone here taken any of the side trips mentioned in Appendix E of
          > Wenk's book? How did you like them and were they worth the extra time
          > and effort? I'm definitely taking the Half Dome trek, crowds or not.
          >
          > I'm planning for an August 2009 trip and will be able to take 3 weeks
          > off from work. I envision starting in the middle of the month and
          > getting back to NJ on Labor Day weekend. I'd like to make the most of
          > my trip of course and some of these side trips look interesting. Any
          > and all comments are welcome.

        • hmdsierra
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 11, 2009
            I'm sure you've made a list, a long list, of places along the way to spend more time discovering. When my sone and I did JMT we pretty much breezed through only taking two days off to look around. We made up for it in later trips to as many of the places that caught our attention. We only scratched the surface as there are so many and so little time. Had I stayed in California I intended to spend the rest of my life doing the same. Taking the time in one area lets you know it so much more.