Re: [John Muir Trail] SPOT feedback

  • Prapanna Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2009
      Hi All,

      I am heading out in two days (Sunday, the 5th) for a couple of weeks
      in the
      Southern Sierra. I will be taking my new SPOT and will let you all
      know how
      it worked after I get back...

      Prapanna

      On Jul 3, 2009, at 8:26 AM, John Ladd wrote:

      > My guess is that the OK light first turns solid green when it makes
      > the
      > first of its 3 attempts to send an OK message up to the satellite.
      > So if
      > you leave it on for the 20 minutes, it should turn solid green on
      > three
      > occasions. Eventually the "OK" light will stop blinking and stay
      > dark. I
      > leave it on until then, when possible (not always possible at short
      > rest
      > stops). If I'm right ,you are losing the advantages of redundancy by
      > turning it off after the first solid green.
      >
      > John Curran Ladd
      > 1616 Castro Street
      > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
      > 415-648-9279 (voice and fax)
      >
      > On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 8:06 AM, Barbara Karagosian
      > <barbara@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Thanks Judy and John for the Spot feedback. We thought we had
      > followed all
      > > the directions in the booklet. The steady light I was referring to
      > is "Once
      > > activated the indicator light will blink green every 3 seconds and
      > turn
      > > solid green for 5 seconds when a Spot checking message is being
      > sent. "
      > > Sometimes this took longer to come on than others. But I think the
      > problem
      > > may have been not just leaving it on for 20 minutes. I assumed
      > that once
      > > the solid green light had come on, the message was sent and it was
      > OK, but
      > > perhaps not. Tho I am confused as to why it has the solid green
      > light come
      > > on, if it doesn't indicate anything useful. I guess "message being
      > sent" is
      > > different from "message received." As you say, it is a one way
      > device so
      > > obviously can't tell you a message was received, only sent.
      > >
      > > I'll still be carrying it, cos it is primarily for the 911
      > occasions, of
      > > course.
      > >
      > > Thanks again - Barbara

    • Barbara Karagosian
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2009
        Yeas I think you are right and I know we didn't keep it on for 20 minutes
        but turned it off after the first green - glad I did a trial run of that at
        least!

        _____

        On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 8:06 AM, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@mkpe.
        <mailto:barbara%40mkpe.com> com> wrote:

        > Thanks Judy and John for the Spot feedback. We thought we had followed all
        > the directions in the booklet. The steady light I was referring to is
        "Once
        > activated the indicator light will blink green every 3 seconds and turn
        > solid green for 5 seconds when a Spot checking message is being sent. "
        > Sometimes this took longer to come on than others. But I think the problem
        > may have been not just leaving it on for 20 minutes. I assumed that once
        > the solid green light had come on, the message was sent and it was OK, but
        > perhaps not. Tho I am confused as to why it has the solid green light come
        > on, if it doesn't indicate anything useful. I guess "message being sent"
        is
        > different from "message received." As you say, it is a one way device so
        > obviously can't tell you a message was received, only sent.
        >
        > I'll still be carrying it, cos it is primarily for the 911 occasions, of
        > course.
        >
        > Thanks again - Barbara

        provider.com <1234567890%40yourcellprovider.com> and
        > then they relay that to your recipients.
        >
        > Some email providers see noreply@findmespot.
        <mailto:noreply%40findmespot.com> com <noreply%40findmespot.com>and
> [...]
        > light"
        >
        > "When the lights blink in unison, the unit has a GPS fix. When they blink
        > alternately, move a position with broader exposure to open sky. If you
        have
        > had 180 degrees of open sky for 20 minutes or longer and your lights are
        > blinking out of sync, your GPS chip may be defective."
        >
        > "The SPOT device operates with Energizer 1.5V non-rechargeable size AA
        > lithium batteries. Any other brand of AA lithium will be rechargeable and
        > high voltage, which will damage the unit. These are required due to this
        > technology's unique ability to maintain a high cell volt throughout the
        > life
        > of the battery. Additional benefits are a larger operating temperature
        > range, up to 8 times longer life than alkaline, an outstanding 15-year

        <mailto:barbara%40mkpe.com> com<barbara%40mkpe.com>>