Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Muir Trail Ranch South

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2 1:48 PM
      You are right about MTR to Pinchot being a bearcab-recommended, not a
      bearcan mandatory, area. I checked for my trip.

      I'm planning on hiking the area with two Ursacks alone as I am going MTR to
      Pinchot and then back again. One Ursack to carry and one to cache.

      San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
      415-648-9279 (voice and fax)

    • Rich Ehli
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2 3:15 PM
        I was able to cram 9 days of food in my BV550 without too much effort.
        But appetites vary. We may carry a Rat Sack for any extra food we can't
        store in the BV550s. The Rat Sack will not stop a bear unless it is
        placed in a deep crevice where he can't reach it with paw or jaw but it
        is adequate to defend the contents against small critters.