Re: VVR

  • richey35@cs.com
    Message 1 of 37 , Jun 5, 2002
      As of last year you can mail out packages and do laundry at Vermillion
      Valley. Laundry and showers are in high demand, so against all instincts try
      to defer on beers and barbeque until you get at least one cleaning task out
      of the way. The food and conversation opportunities are great there. They
      were trying to sell the property last year, so all is subject to change if
      the place changed hands. - Bob R

    • robert shattuck
      Message 37 of 37 , Dec 9, 2015

        Eric,

        Who knows what the snow/water situation will be this coming season and even if it is, the prospect of Edison Lake being full enough for the complete water taxi experience is perhaps slim.

        In the good old days, probably the last being the summer of 2011 you go over Silver Pass and get down to the junction there in Quail Meadow and  you will find the sign there, stating 1.5 or whatever to the boat dock. This is no more and likely if there is enough water to run the pontoon boat, you'will still have to walk out a ways onto the lake bed to get to whatever service they have going. It might even be a situation of you and your family having to split up, not ll being able to fit in one of the smaller boats.

        If the lake is low and the ferry service is just a puddle jump, I would take your family over the very pleasant, Goodale Pass.

        Silver Pass down to the junction is a knee killer; all downhill, lots of switch-backs, hot . . . I suppose it has always been this way becuase people put a lot of effort into hustling to meet the ferry on time--if you take it slow though, it is still a grind.

        Going over Goodale Pass is easy, with a short climb up, a wander over and across and then a bit of downhill before you find yourself on a very gradual straight line descent almost all the way into the VVR---it is a happy frolic compared to the Silver Pass descent.

        Once you are at the VVR, and assuming that you took Goodale or Silver and walked in, I would not bother going back out and connecting again at Quail Meadows. instead, I would just have the folks at VVR shuttle you and yours to the Bear Creek Cutoff Trailhead ( it is not a boat ride )

        At the  BCC trailhead there you have an immediate but easy climb of 45--60 minutes, maybe less, but it all depends on how your team is holding up. I think I usually do it in about 35 minutes, pretty much non-stop. ThereĀ“s no water on the Ascent or once you get to the top, the descent until you get down to Bear Creek, which is always plush with water features and an easy ascent that will eventually pop you out on the JMT.

        I would the trail has easy water access for about 75 percent of the way and then nothing until you connect with the JMT, but it is easy hiking.

        Bob Shattuck

        whatwouldjohnmuirdo.wordpress.com