Re: [John Muir Trail] Where does the stove go?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2009
      I think you can safely leave a water-boiling JetBoil on the ground outside
      the tent. In fact, I've never had a problem even with a JetBoil that has
      just cooked a dinner of rice, beans and bacon fat.

      Nor have I had problems with cooking utensils.

      For sure, leave suntan lotion in the bearcan. I'm not convinced about the
      bears, but mice and chipmunks can easily chew a hold in your suntan lotion
      bottle and then you're cooked.

      DEET apparently can damage some bearcans. Leave it out..

      The idea of leaving noisy stuff on top of the bearcan sounds like a good
      idea to me. Never thought of it. Thanks, group.

      I sleep in a bivy, so nothing but me and my boots fits inside the "tent".

      Mice and chipmunks are a bigger (or at least more frequent) danger to your
      backpack than bears. I usually bring a long thin nylon cord and free-hang
      my back (everything open) from a tree branch just enuf to keep it 4-6 ft off
      the ground. Won't protect it from a bear, but generally keeps most mice
      away,. That way they don't chew thru your straps. You leave all the
      pockets open in hopes that any mouse who figures out how to get to the bag
      does not need to chew it open in order to explore it.

      Things that need to stay dry (like socks and daytime clothes) go in the
      waterproof compression sack (that holds my sleeping bag during the day) if
      there looks to be any danger of rain. If not, they go in the hanging pack.

      If no trees available to hang the bag, the pack goes on the ground.

      Any piece of clothing that has your sweat on it is likely to attract mice.
      So I put them in the hanging pack or inside the compression bag. So far no
      mouse has attempted to chew the the bag to get at my salt (though I worry
      about that)

      San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
      415-648-9279 (voice and fax)