Re: [John Muir Trail] Last minute questions before my trip to JMT

  • Kevin Balla
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009
      Thanks for that, I thought so. Well I head out tomorrow (so excited about it!) and have one last question, this time about the clothes I packed. For now, I'm taking some light clothes but I'm not sure how cold it gets up at Donahue Pass at night (11,500 ft, the highest point I'll be reaching). To keep warm I'm taking a thermal top/bottom and a long sleeve shirt, but should I be taking a fleece with me too?

      Here's what I'm packing for the 7day trip:
      -4 underwear (includes 1 thermal)
      -2 wool socks
      -1 hiking pant
      -2 long sleeve shirts (includes 1 thermal)
      -2 short sleeve shirts

      Does this sound too light? Lastly, is there a reliable forecast website for the northern part of the JMT (Postpile to Happy Isles)?

      I really appreciate everyone's input up till now, I'll be sure to write back about my experience up there!

      Kevin

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009
        You should be fine with your thermals rather than fleece. I skip the thermals and go with lightweight fleece for around camp and cold nights. We have had a lot of thunderstorm activity this past month and you should plan on rain protection, especially with cotton clothing. I always ask other hikers about bear activity so I'll know how careful to be. I do not cook with grease and I don't fish. In 30 days on the JMT last summer, our group had no bear encounters. Don't get me wrong, you need to be careful, but also be thoughtful. Have fun, wish I were going again.
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009
          The weather varies from about 28 F in middle of night to 95 F at hottest
          part of the day. I bring two ultralight down items (a sleeveless vest by
          western mountaineering, and a short-sleeve vest by montbell--the two items
          XL weight totaled, together, 13 oz), plus an ultralight breathable w/p rain
          jacket, together these items enable me to handle rain or cold in a
          layered-system. For night, I do have a 4 oz XL ultralight merino wool long
          johns from backpackinglight.com. Sometimes I hike with an extra Tshirt for
          sleep (an ultralight 4 oz XL merino wool Tshirt from BPL too) but I shipped
          it back home at MTR as I was too tired of it by then and went with only the
          shirt I wear on my back from then on.

        • song95139@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009
            Hi Kevin,

            The weather can can be have a wide range in the High Sierra.  Temperature can drop down to 30 degrees at night and rise to 90 degrees in the day.  It can also be windy if you camp at higher elevation and thus making it feel much colder.  You can encounter thunder storms.

            Missing on your list I notice is the rain gear. Raingear can be doubled as wind breaker if needed.  Also a pair of gloves.  It kept my fingers warm at night.

            Here is what I brought on my trip last year.

            1 pair underwear - wash it while at camp or resorts.
            2 pair wool socks - 1 for sleeping and 1 for hiking.  alternate and dry the wet one on the backpack or overnight.
            1 set of thermal top and pants - only for sleeping.
            1 long sleeve shirt for sleeping
            1 fleece shirt and pants for warmed and sleeping when cold.
            1 hiking shirt
            1 Polyester T shirt
            1 pair cotton glove
            1 beanie - keeping my head warm
            1 wide brim hat
            1 rain gear top only - ripstop type

            I was warm sleeping in a 40 degree sleeping bag under a rain fly.

            Keep you clothing dry.  I use a zip lock bag for all my clothing and sleeping bag for just in case I slip while crossing streams.

            Enjoy yourself and I will join you in three weeks.

            Sim

            ____________ _________ _________ __

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009
              I second the suggestion about raingear (not a poncho). It is surprisingly
              warm when combined with just about anything underneath. Also surprisingly
              warm warn inside a sleeping bag (though a little sweaty -- you wouldn';t
              want to wear it unless you were cold).

              If you get too cold, just get into your sleeping bag early and when you get
              up in the morning, jump around a lot. If your are cold inside your bag,
              exaggerate your natural shivering response. It really will help you warm up
              fast.

              For sure, bring things to keep your hands warm and dry. It is really hard
              to break camp when your fingers are too cold to stuff your bag, fasten your
              straps, tie your laces etc. Gloves also serve as hot pads for cooking and
              can protect your hands if you get a cut and the band-aids keep coming off.

              San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
              415-648-9279 (voice and fax)