Re: [John Muir Trail] Digest Number 883

  • Ralph Alcorn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2009
      Just to clear up any confusion, you absolutely can ship limited amounts of
      alcohol fuel or gas canister fuel, provided that it is packed properly and
      labeled properly. I do this every year for my pct section hiking. The main
      thing is that it has to go by ground transportation only, so allow extra
      time for it to get to its destination.

      The best description of how to pack and label it is on Ken Powers' website,
      along with citing of the relevant postal regulations:

      http://www.gottawalk.com/shipping_fuel.htm - for example, I've extracted
      part of his discussion on canisters:

      *What this means to us:*

      We can ship up to 3 small canisters of isobutane fuel via ground mail
      (domestic mail only). That works fine because we don't want to carry the
      extra weight of more than 2 canisters at a time. The package must be sturdy.
      The cartridges need to be packed for protection. The package must have the
      following label on attached on the address side of the package:

      *Surface Mail Only*

      *Consumer commodity* *ORM-D*

      Ralph Alcorn
      http://www.backpack45.com/pct.html