RE: [John Muir Trail] Getting from Whitney Portal to Lone Pine

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2009
      Joyce, your question has probably been answered, but yes, safe to leave your car at the Portal. I'd check in with Doug in the store for the best advice as to where to leave it. Also, thumbing from tejh portal to Lone Pine is no problem. DON"T spend the bucks calling a shuttle or taxi (unless you really want to)
      bob

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: joyce@...
      Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 14:01:08 -0600
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Getting from Whitney Portal to Lone Pine

      We're planning to thru hike the trail starting mid-August to mid-September.

      Our question: is it safe to leave a car at Whitney Portal so it's there at

      hike's end. If we don't do that, what's the most reliable way to get from

      Whitney Portal to Lone Pine? Is there a taxi we can call? Bus? Shuttle? Or

      should we just depend on the kindness of strangers and hitchhike (even that

      late in the season?)