John Muir Trail Update

  • obi_wan_canoli
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 17, 2002
      Just a note here to update our JMT plans for this summer... Permit
      received for August 4th (Sunday) entry, Bear Diversion Dam. We've
      reserved for 6 people, have 3 confirmed, another possible, thus, room
      for two. Headed to Whitney.

      Trip duration is 12 days +/-, and a resupply is also on the agenda
      (Thanks, SN!)

      If you're interested in joining us, here's what I can tell you so
      far:

      1 at 28, 1 @ 49, 2 more @ 50+, 1 possible @ 25. Two are single, three
      married, and we're all hoping to share the experience with other,
      like-minded companions. We're all male, save one, and we welcome any
      age, any gender. Experience recommended, maturity & responsibility
      advised. No axe murderers, no rapists, no politicians. For some, this
      is the 2nd time around. Me? My first time on this half of the trail.
    • hmdsierra
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 17, 2002
        "Me? My first time on this half of the trail."

        You are in for a real treat then. This part of the trail goes through
        some of the finest country JMT has to offer. My friend, Gary, and I
        did the part from LeConte to Whitney in 2 weeks to finally finish the
        trail for him. He had started with my son and I in '82 but had to
        drop out due to a bad knee at Devils Postpile. We had made week trips
        to cover the ground to LeConte. The 2 week trip was the longest he ha
        made with me and the longer time gives a different feel to being out.

        You will get to see Evolution Valley, one of my favorite spots, very
        scenic. Glen Pass is the most enjoyable passes I've been on due to
        its geography. Best wishes on your trip, wish I could do it again.
      • snow_nymph_2000
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 19, 2002
          Permit is ready to go, but where do I send it? Prather or
          Porterville? Will they mail it or do I pick it up, and where do I
          pick it up? I'm not familiar with the western side procedures for
          getting a permit. On the eastern side I call the ranger station and
          they'll leave it outside for me to pick up. Let me know.
        • jerry92103
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 30, 2002
            Hi obi,

            You put a smile on my face this morning with your "requirements".
            Even though you did include politicians on the list, I was still
            looking for "lawyers"! :-) Enjoy your hike and someday I'll make it
            down the trail. Thanks,

            Jerry