Food epiphany

  • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 41 , Sep 1, 2014
      Weighing stuff out this morning it occurred to me that replacing the Mountain House entrees with energy bars not only eliminates a messy clean up process but also saves considerable weight.

      An average Mountain House entree weighs 7 oz, has 500 calories and 16 grams of protein. My Primus cooking set-up + MSR canister weighs 27 oz. A six day supply of MH's will weigh 42 oz, so the total weight of entrees plus cooker is 69 oz.

      If I replace each MH meal with two Bear Naked energy bars having a weight of 2 x 2 oz = 4 oz and an equal number of protein and calories (16 grams of protein and 500 calories) for a six day total of 24 oz and also eliminate the cooker, I will save a total of 69 oz - 24 = 41 oz.

      But not only will I save overy 2 1/2 pounds in weight, I will also not have the messy problem of cleaning up the MH package after I have eaten - which if the entree is lasagna or spaghetti, is considerable since there are usually no taps around.

      For a trip of no more than two - three weeks, going without a hot meal is not bad if this means reducing the pack weight and not having to be concerned with lighting the stove in high wind conditions.

      Ken.
      Message 41 of 41 , Sep 5, 2014
        Rich

        Thanks. Looks like I need to read it with more care. I'm mostly focused on refining the survey right now but I definitely want to understand some of these fat-vs-muscle loss issues before reporting on the results.  Luckily, some science types hav volunteered to help at that stage, so they (and you) can keep me honest here.

        On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 11:13 AM, longritchie <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        John Ladd
        Today at 10:16 AM

        The part of most interest to us, however, is the composition of the weight loss. The 40% fat calories group tended to lose fat and gain lean mass. In the 30% fat calories group, a fairly low calorie reduction below the burn rate (indicated by the modest 1.8 kg weight loss in the 30%-fat group over 12 months) resulted in a loss of more muscle than of fat.

        Neither group gained lean mass.

        Rather, the 40% fat calories (low-carb) group averaged a gain in body composition of lean mass, from an initial 60% of body weight to 61.3% after 12 months. But that included a net loss of 2.0 kg of lean mass.

        It may be that some loss of lean mass is unavoidable when shedding weight.

        I'm glad you got a chance to look at the paper. Reading your post made me realize I'd inadvertently used some of the numbers from one of the tables in the appendix. This changes the values I'd calculated a little, but not the overall picture.

        As an aside, when I finally got on a scale (some days after I finished my walk) I was 8 lbs under my normal weight, which is considerable for me. What I don't know is what my starting weight was although I think I started a little leaner than normal. It's likely that I lost muscle on my trip, and one would suspect upper body musculature might be more compromised.

        But when I went rock climbing (after the JMT) I performed at a higher level, despite any loss of muscle. The lower body mass likely meant that my strength to weight ratio actually benefited from the calorie deprivation. This is something I've noticed in the past. My bicycling performance is poor after a long backpack but I feel stronger rock climbing.