Exiting to bishop

  • lylebialk@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 28, 2014
      What would be the best/easiest way to exit to Bishop or Big Pine? Is hitching from these trail heads feasable?
    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 28, 2014

        "What would be the best/easiest way to exit to Bishop or Big Pine? Is hitching from these trail heads feasible?"

        When you get down into LeConte Canyon, turn left at the junction and go up into Dusy Basin and out over Bishop Pass. Getting a ride at the trailhead is easy and once you are in a car, it takes about 20 minutes to get to Bishop.

        I just came down Bishop Pass a few weeks ago and just standing at the trailhead parking lot got three offers of a ride, without asking  . . . but I was waiting for my partner to arrive and he'd already got us a ride from someone he met on the descent from BP.

        I can't comment on Big Pine, but in general ( having thumbed off whitney portal many times and done a good amount of east side thumbing) thumbing from a trailhead is easy---I've never had to stand around for more than a few minutes.

        Getting back to Bishop Pass . . . that might be a drag, like thumbing on 395 can either be too easy, or you stand in one place for hours.

        BOB SHATTUCK

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        From: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 17:03:03 -0700
        Subject: [John Muir Trail] Exiting to bishop

        What would be the best/easiest way to exit to Bishop or Big Pine? Is hitching from these trail heads feasable?
      • Edwardo Rodriguez
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 28, 2014
          This year I went over Bishop Pass didn't had a hard time hitching a ride

          On Thursday, August 28, 2014 5:03 PM, "lylebialk@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          What would be the best/easiest way to exit to Bishop or Big Pine? Is hitching from these trail heads feasable?

        • Larry Beck
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 28, 2014
            I don't think there is any easy way to get from the JMT to Glacier Lodge (which would be the closest trailhead to Big Pine). I could be wrong about that though.

            If you could get to Glacier Lodge then it would be easy to hitch to Big Pine (and closer too).

            Larry

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 29, 2014
              Thanks all. Wll plan to go out via bishop pass. Just not going to make Whitney this time. Great trip, though,