The hunt for an ideal minimalist poncho (not dual-purpose) for monsoonal JMT hikes

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 27, 2014
      Thought I'd continue this in a separate thread as it does not have to be DIY and it definitely is not interested in being dual purpose.

      I've ordered and received  a standard military poncho (20mm thick) to see if I like the pattern.  It is way too heavy -- 28 oz -- even if made of cuben fiber, it is way too bulky and wastes too much fabric.

      I also ordered a Frogg Togg Ultralight poncho, only 7oz; but again way too bulky and wastes too much fabric.

      I also ordered a REI poncho that was claimed to be only 12 oz but turned out to be 29 oz (heavier than the military one) and I returned it; I did not even bother trying it on.

      Today I ordered two more ponchos, they seem to be tailored and look interesting.

      (A Charles River Poncho -- I liked this one comment)

      Inline image 2

      Also a "snugpak patrol rain poncho" -- looks interesting (I'm not interested in the chest pocket, but rest of it looks interesting):

      Inline image 1
      Once I find the poncho I like, I want to then get a cuben fiber version of the poncho made.  Either Zpacks or Bearpawwd .

      I wanted to get this poncho or it's blueprint, but so far no answer from AntiGravityGear who stopped selling it.  I've emailed the owner twice now.  Will keep trying.

      Inline image 3

      _

      From: Roleigh Martin roleigh@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 8:25 AM
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: For monsoonal JMT years, do we need squall raingear used by deep sea fishermen? (parcho)
      To: John Muir Trail YahooGroups <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>

      Cap,

      I sure wish I had brought this on my 2014 JMT!

      Scroll through thread, I made multiple postings, one about sourcing (supplies/labor), the other what it looks like with or without a pack on (lots of pics)>

      Weighs 5 oz.

      But now that The Packa can be ordered in Cuben Fiber, and because Joe has his own Packa style poncho, I doubt if you can repeat what I did exactly.  I see the Packa comes in about 4 sizes too.

    • Arla Hile

      Message 3 of 13 , Aug 28, 2014
        Arla,

        I'm thinking the poncho will be in addition to my normal rain gear.  I'll use the existing breathable jacket for typical sierra hiking problems and the poncho will go on top when it looks like the rain is more severe.  Added weight to existing setup will be about 3-4 oz.

        I like the Zpacks Kilt (especially their new one which uses zipper instead of velcro) instead of pants.

        I do want a Cuben Fiber sole-less overboot like LongRitchie did though to  protect the boots.

        Roleigh

        _

        On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 8:04 AM, Arla Hile crocov502@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Roleigh, you DO realize that you'll get nicely geared up and your next trip will be bone dry? It's Murphy's Law. :)
        Although I like that the poncho can double as a tarp, I still think a jacket and pants is the way to go, because wearing a jacket and pants over your warm layers = mighty toasty warm.

        Arla

      • Eric Klein

            Message 6 of 13 , Aug 28, 2014
              Francis Tapon agrees with you. I see.

              But were you on JMT aug 3 when winds got up to around 30-40 mph (felt like it). Umbrellas do not handle well in wind. Also are u limited to hiking with only one pole with umbrella ?

              --
              Sent from Gmail Ipad
              See my Google Profile for interesting research links:
              Message 7 of 13 , Aug 28, 2014
              Did we add diy parcho from quest?  If I had talent I was going to make one from cuben...

              [Attachment(s) from Arla Hile included below]

              From: Roleigh Martin roleigh@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
              Date: Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 8:25 AM
              To: John Muir Trail YahooGroups <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>

              Cap,

              I sure wish I had brought this on my 2014 JMT!

              Scroll through thread, I made multiple postings, one about sourcing (supplies/labor), the other what it looks like with or without a pack on (lots of pics)>

              Weighs 5 oz.

              But now that The Packa can be ordered in Cuben Fiber, and because Joe has his own Packa style poncho, I doubt if you can repeat what I did exactly.  I see the Packa comes in about 4 sizes too.

              Attachment(s) from Arla Hile | View attachments on the web
              5 of 5 Photo(s)

              Posted by: Arla Hile <crocov502@...>

              Check out the automatic photo album with 5 photo(s) from this topic.
              image.png image002.jpg image004.jpg image.png image.png

              Message 8 of 13 , Aug 28, 2014
                I have that ponch (parcho) in cuben already, gave link to photos at top of this thread, was made from the pattern in place at the time of the making.  The Packa can be ordered in cuben fiber by the maker of the Packa by the way.

                _

                [Attachment(s) from cindy liebeck included below]

                Message 9 of 13 , Aug 29, 2014
                  When I hiked Tahoe to Yosemite this year I saw at least a dozen hikers carrying chrome domes or other umbrellas. I asked 4 to 5 hikers how they liked their umbrella, and eached raved about what a great piece of equipment it is. I assumed it was most useful in the desert miles, but rain protection was cited as one of its best uses. One woman commented how great it was in intermittent rain because she could leave her umbrella up while while others had to pull out and stow away rain gear to address changing conditions.

                  On the half-day I was rained on I saw a couple umbrellas go by. Having wetted-out in my rain jacket by then I was pretty damn jealous.

                  As to the question of carrying it, some hikers attached a "holder" to their pack made out of a short piece of PVC so they could hike with the umbrella up "hands free."

                  Herb
                • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
                  Message 10 of 13 , Aug 29, 2014
                    So, is there an Ultra Light umbrella? I don't want to start up the whole 'Us versus Them' argument again. ;-)
                  • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
                    Message 11 of 13 , Aug 29, 2014
                      The drawback of plastic rain jackets or ponchos or any non absorbing material is that the water runs off and soaks the legs/trousers/shoes, so I can readily imagine an umbrella would be a much better alternative in an area where there were no low hanging branches. And the ease of putting up an umbrella scores over any kind of rain shedding clothing item.

                      Ken.

                        Message 13 of 13 , Aug 29, 2014
                          Regarding umbrellas, this is a great review one comparing the fave'd Golite umbrella with one weighing half as much (the Golite is superior for the reasons given, but there are times when the reviewer went with the lighter one):

                          Montbell makes an ultralight umbrella 5.something ounces

                          The Chrome Dome umbrella is now only $30 too for the weekend (maybe longer, who knows?)

                          _