Teaser survey result from 2014 JMT Hiker Survey

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 26, 2014
      The pre-hike survey and the mini-survey (which sits between the pre- and post-hike survey) already have some interesting results.

      Out of the first 192 responses from people who took both surveys:

      5% cancelled their planned trip in advance
      28% shortened the trip
      67% reported that their trip went mostly or entirely as planned

      The reasons for shortening:

       Reason why trip shortened

      Not a factor

      Minor contributing factor

      Major contributing factor

      Single biggest factor

      My physical condition not adequate for the hike

      71.11%

      32

      17.78%

      8

      11.11%

      5

      0.00%

      0

      I wasn't able to make the daily miles needed

      69.57%

      32

      23.91%

      11

      0.00%

      0

      6.52%

      3

      Hiking companions not able to make the miles needed

      65.96%

      31

      12.77%

      6

      10.64%

      5

      10.64%

      5

      Hiking partners were otherwise unwilling to go forward

      77.78%

      35

      8.89%

      4

      4.44%

      2

      8.89%

      4

      Blisters

      91.30%

      42

      2.17%

      1

      4.35%

      2

      2.17%

      1

      Other injury

      63.04%

      29

      10.87%

      5

      6.52%

      3

      19.57%

      9

      Adverse weather (rain, cold, lightning, etc.)

      54.35%

      25

      21.74%

      10

      8.70%

      4

      15.22%

      7

      Food-related issues

      77.78%

      35

      4.44%

      2

      13.33%

      6

      4.44%

      2

      Sleep-related issues

      91.30%

      42

      4.35%

      2

      2.17%

      1

      2.17%

      1

      Altitude-related illness

      82.61%

      38

      8.70%

      4

      2.17%

      1

      6.52%

      3

      Other illness

      78.26%

      36

      2.17%

      1

      4.35%

      2

      15.22%

      7

      Navigation problems or got lost

      95.56%

      43

      2.22%

      1

      0.00%

      0

      2.22%

      1

      Smoke due to wildfires

      91.30%

      42

      4.35%

      2

      2.17%

      1

      2.17%

      1

      Road closures due to wildfires

      100.00%

      44

      0.00%

      0

      0.00%

      0

      0.00%

      0

      Critical gear failed

      95.56%

      43

      2.22%

      1

      2.22%

      1

      0.00%

      0

      Gear was inadequate for conditions

      93.48%

      43

      6.52%

      3

      0.00%

      0

      0.00%

      0

      Pack too heavy for me

      80.43%

      37

      8.70%

      4

      8.70%

      4

      2.17%

      1

      Loneliness or missing those left at home

      86.96%

      40

      2.17%

      1

      6.52%

      3

      4.35%

      2

      Work or family obligations

      88.37%

      38

      2.33%

      1

      6.98%

      3

      2.33%

      1

      San Francisco, CA  94114-3707
      415-648-9279
    • Paul Fretheim

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 27, 2014
          Here's a better graphic for the same survey results presented yesterday. Couldn't resist the temptation to play around with presentation.

          Out of the responses to date from people who took both the pre-hike survey and a short survey about cancellation/change/completion:

          5% cancelled their planned trip in advance
          28% shortened the trip
          67% reported that their trip went mostly or entirely as planned

          The reasons for shortening shown on this revised chart. Looks like the the most factors were a combination of bad weather with injuries, illness or difficulty making planned miles (more for hiking companions than the survey respondent).

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 27, 2014
            The survey has both structured data and optional free-form comments. The data is better for analysis but the comments add color.

            I was reviewing today the freeform comments about reasons for shortened trips (in connection with refining the question for the folks who haven't reached it yet). Here's a condensed summary of the comments so far on factors behind shortened trips:

            Asthma triggered by smoke

            partner altitude sickness that did not abate.  She never was able to sleep and complained of "jelly legs" and nausea, vomiting, anxiety and headache.

            I thought it was wise not to hike alone when partner bailed

            Hike interrupted by unspecified illness – resumed hike after recovery

            severe chaffing (1 of 2 factors)

            anxiety at night - couldn't sleep from fear of bears and generally being alone in the middle of the wilderness

            Hiking partner couldn't handle the weight, miles and personality conflicts.

            broke a tooth and had to head home for tooth extraction

            Cellulitis infection in one leg

            planned two 4-day sections, but sprained ankle was slow to heal, hiking partners pulled out, and I was busy at work so the second trip was cancelled.

            pneumonia (thought it was just a bad cold), hiked 54 miles in a little over a day and a half, and left the trail

            I tried being conservative in my mileage expectations but I could only meet it if I pushed myself to get going earlier, etc. However, I made the decision to focus on enjoying where I was instead of finishing. (one of several factors)

            I didn't have enough bear can space to bring extra food for additional days I would need, despite my lack of hunger (one of several factors).

            I contracted giardia during a warm-up trip and it started "blooming" right before the trip. After 8 days of almost constant diarrhea, I called it quits at MTR.

            strained my foot in the hot spring at Muir trial ranch.  That strain on my foot with additional hiking caused a stress fracture.  In the hot spring their was no bottom, and I sank. Kicking my feet in the thick muddy soot to get out, caused the initial strain, and not taking the proper rest.

            I was carrying 42 to 45lb pack and losing weight about 1 lbs. per day. So felt it's not safe to continue with that trend. I dropped from 145 lbs to 133 lbs. at end of 12 days.

            I was on a tight time table, and dynamiting at Mather pass threatened to disrupt it. Rather than risk missing my flight, and because I was also suffering from bad blisters, I exited early. Very pleased with the decision.

            Pre-existing injury that flared up. I knew going into the hiking that bailing may be necessary due to this injury, so I was prepared for that possibility.  I think my pack weight -- plus doing more daily miles than I should have -- exacerbated the injury.

            Just plain was running out of gas the last couple of days - got kind of stumbly - bailed out to Road's End.  Friend was having trouble making it over Kearsarge Pass for resupply, resupply logistics/meetup and was behind schedule for by a day.

            Major factor - daily mileages to meet targets meant hiking sun up to near or past sun down with no zero days or possibility of down time outside brief resupply stops. Contributing factors - lost my pack cover, broke one of my trekking poles, not enough insulation for sustained cold/rain.

            Mosquitoes were a minor factor

            My car broke down on the Tioga pass on my way to my hike and as a result wouldn't have given me enough cushion (in case there were any hiccups with car pick up or repair) to get home on time. Also, just would have made too long a day - up/down Whitney, get to car, drive home... So, I decided to go out 2 days early.

            The monsoonal weather forecast and threatening skies from the top of Bishop Pass made us turn around there. I was out to enjoy the trail and didn't feel the pressure to hike through 5 forecasted days of rain and thunder/lightening storms.

            My spouse's worsening cold in combination with upcoming bad weather made us cut our trip three days short

            Pack too heavy for hiking partner -- major contributing factor.

            Partner's altitude problems led to calorie and hydration deficits. Eventually unable to continue at necessary pace.

            Three strikes and I was out:   1) Hiking partner broke her wrist on day 3 of our hike.  2)  Missed connecting with my hiking buddy at MTR by 6 hrs.  3) Got a possible case of food poisoning after VVR

            I was very happy with the four passes we did, and was tired and missed home after 12 days, so we will finish with the last section next year.

          • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 27, 2014
              "I was carrying 42 to 45lb pack and losing weight about 1 lbs. per day. So felt it's not safe to continue with that trend. I dropped from 145 lbs to 133 lbs. at end of 12 days. "

              John, was this you? ;-)

              Ken.
            • rnperky@sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 27, 2014
                Thanks for sharing comments John. It's always interesting to see why folks opted to not finish. I'm sure as the final tally comes in, the weather in July will be a big 'winner' in causing a higher than normal bailout rate.
              • rnperky@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 27, 2014
                  John, is there a way to tell if I did the post-hike survey? In all of the craziness of summers and my late-July partial SHR trip, I can't remember if I received and/or participated in it? Thanks!
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 27, 2014
                    Me?

                    Haven't started a trip at 45 for years. I tried that lightweight thing for a while and actually started a few trips in the low 40s. Didn't work for me.. Went back to 50 lb starts. Last 2 long trips were 52, which I've learned is about my limit. Getting old.

                    12 days is right, though, for mine.

                    I actually gained a pound on my last trip (though I lost 2-3 on my 12-day trip)

                    On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 5:02 PM, kenjessett@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    "I was carrying 42 to 45lb pack and losing weight about 1 lbs. per day. So felt it's not safe to continue with that trend. I dropped from 145 lbs to 133 lbs. at end of 12 days. "

                    John, was this you? ;-)

                    Ken.

                  • Peter Hirst

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 27, 2014
                        Robert - You are admirably up to date on the survey process. You did the pre-survey, and then the little mini-survey which you got in an e-mail -- and in which you confirmed your interest.

                        The final step - the 15-minute post-hike survey - is still in draft form and you should get a link to it via a personal e-mail that I will send to you in roughly mid-September.

                        Probably the only way to check your status is just to ask me.

                        For any others with questions about your personal survey status, feel free to e-mail me off-board. JohnLadd@....

                        I'll get back to you soon.

                        Some of the e-mailed links to the 2-minute mini-survey -- the one where you confirm your interest and give me just a few basics -- apparently are being caught in people's spam filters. If you think you should  have gotten something from me, you might search your spam folder for something from me or SurveyMonkey (probably shows as if from me, though SurveyMonkey is actually sending things I ask them to)

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 28, 2014
                          Thanks John!