Heroes at REI - refund on Cascadia9's and info on miles

  • cindy liebeck
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 25 6:12 PM
      Hi - I previously wrote about my dissatisfaction with Brook's Cascadia 9's on the JMT.  Each shoe developed a "smile" by MTR (100 miles into JMT) on the big toe of each shoe.  The heroes at REI offered a full refund on the shoes (amazing!) which I declined to accept.

      I learned that Brook's Cascadia trail length to replacement is 150 miles.  I was close to that mileage expectation with my experience (122 miles counting the Mt. W bag a few weeks prior).

      I cannot comment on PCT users of Cascadias, but they clearly didn't work for me, and, it turns out, the shoes were never intended to do something as robust as the JMT - either in distance or in miles.

      Net/net: I got a modest store credit from REI (my choice on reduced amount). And, I'll be using my Vasque's for my upcoming Wonderlands trip (and possibly Cascades and Cathedral Peaks trips).

      C.
    • cassburson
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 26 9:52 PM
        I just finished the trail wearing Cascadia 9s and they worked great for me (obviously footwear is the most personal gear choice one can make) and this is my 2nd pair I've owned. I think you can expect around 250 miles on a pair, but even this is dependent on you body weight, pack weight, and just how you walk. Note that my previous pair of Cascadias still look fine, but at some point they will stop supporting your feet and give you problems. I now use the old ones for river shoes while summer fly fishing.

        REI is great and I have had the same experience with worn footwear.
      • rand
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 26 11:47 PM
          Note on this thread.

          There is nothing "heroic" about REI offering to take back gear.   You can put your gear in your driveway, drive  over it with your car, have your dog do his business on it, leave it in the rain, and the "heros" at REI will still take it back.   It's not that they have heroic intentions, it's their business model.   They take back anything for any reason.....knowing that you probably won't bring it back, or in this case refuse the refund.   Side note.....this is also the same motivation  they have for not supporting true ultralight gear......it generally doesn't stand up to the average mouth breathing knuckle dragger's treatment of gear.....so the average pack they send out the door is way heavier than it should be to ensure it stands up to ridiculous abuse.

          I write this note as I head out for several days of vacation.....please feel free to melt down my inbox with your glowing praise of REI......but don't feel upset when I don't reply.....

          Rand  :-)
        • cassburson
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 27 1:26 PM
            And you can still appreciate and shop at REI and be lightweight. I am an REI member but certainly haven't bought my whole backpacking kit from them. I left MTR with 9 days of food and a liter of water and weighed in at 32 pounds on the scale at MTR.