Yo-yo the JMT?

  • Ray Rippel
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 25, 2014
      Good day,

      You know how sometimes you hear a song and can't get it out of your head? Well, someone just wrote "Yo-yo the JMT" and now I can't get that idea out of my head.

      Some early thoughts:

         - Whitney Portal seems the best choice to begin/end.

         - That said, I think I would take two days to get to the summit. If I did, I'll bet I could easily camp on night two in Crabtree Meadow. Cool!

         - What kind of permit would you need?

         - Rest day in Yosemite Valley?

         - What alternative routes (if you don't care if you actually walk every step on the JMT) would be worth considering?

      I may have to pencil this in for 2017!

      Good hiking, Ray
    • rnperky@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 25, 2014
        What key is it in? I want to sing the JMT yo-yo song ; ) ! If I were to ever yo-yo the trail, I would go as many alternate JMT routes as possible to keep it more interesting. Hmmm...thanks for getting that 'tune' in my brain Ray! ;)
      • Peter Hirst
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 25, 2014
          Whitney is a helluva place to start:  way tougher even than climbing out of the Valley, but it is also a way cooler place to finish.

          Two days to summit for sure:  much tougher acclimation than starting at 4000 and working your way up to 9500.  Starting over 8 and working your way up to 14500.

          One permit  - Whitney overnight - if you spend no more than 24 hrs off trail in the Valley and exit/reenter the same trailhead, ie HI. but the toughest one in the Sierra to reserve in advance.  If you are going solo and can't get a reservation, start midweek and go for a walk-up while you are camping and acclimating at Horseshoe.  At least as easy to get as HI.

          Yep, not a bad plan for a yo-yo.  You will lose a little acclimation, but not much.  Give you an opportunity to look at alternate routes back, such as Merced Lake Vogelsang, avoiding the Sunrise SLog and More Bad Burgers at T.M.

          In addition to Merced/Vogelsang, Glacier point Panorama Trail instead of HI, zero day out of the Valley,  PCT/ High Trail by Agnew, Fish Creek/Iva Bell hot spring between Red's and SIlver/Goodale, Goodale Pass/Bear Creek Cutoff in and out of VVR, Sheperd Pass /Junction Pass original route, Lake South America/Caltech Peak traverse, Skip Whitney NoBo, descent of Whitney by Walk Off Traverse and Mountaineer's Route.   Check with John Ladd for comprehensive list of John Muir Route alternatives.

          ALso check Whitneyzone.com for permit and acclimation/approach strategy and Whitney area alternatives.

          On Aug 25, 2014, at 10:49 AM, Ray Rippel ray.rippel@... [johnmuirtrail] wrote:

          Good day,

          You know how sometimes you hear a song and can't get it out of your head? Well, someone just wrote "Yo-yo the JMT" and now I can't get that idea out of my head.

          Some early thoughts:

             - Whitney Portal seems the best choice to begin/end.

             - That said, I think I would take two days to get to the summit. If I did, I'll bet I could easily camp on night two in Crabtree Meadow. Cool!

             - What kind of permit would you need?

             - Rest day in Yosemite Valley?

             - What alternative routes (if you don't care if you actually walk every step on the JMT) would be worth considering?

          I may have to pencil this in for 2017!

          Good hiking, Ray

        • james christopherson
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 26, 2014
            Use the pirates of the Caribbean song as it fits the tune pretty well,,,
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 26, 2014
            Most famous pic I ever took of a yo-yo JMT hiker (his goal was 14 days, 7 days per JMT stretch) was the record-breaking (at the time) unsupported JMT hike, Reinhold Metzger.  I took this photo in 2010.  He was doing a prep run trying out two different brands of mid-height running boots -- a different model on each foot!):

            More about this amazing man is here.  By the way, in the photo, Reinhold was 1 month short of age 70!  Doesn't look it by many decades, eh?

            _

            Message 6 of 6 , Aug 26, 2014
              LOL! Yo-yo, yo-yo, it's a hikers life for me! I like it ;)