campsite recommendations between TM & LYV

  • james_christopherson
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 23, 2014

      Anybody have any campsite recommendations between TM and LYV  I was thinking of leaving TM and spending 2 nights on the trail, and then the 3rd night in LYV before going home the last morning.

      thanks

      James

    • Peter Hirst
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 23, 2014
        With that amount of time I would be thinking Sunrise Lakes and Cloud's Rest

        On Aug 23, 2014, at 6:30 AM, james_christopherson@... [johnmuirtrail] wrote:

        Anybody have any campsite recommendations between TM and LYV  I was thinking of leaving TM and spending 2 nights on the trail, and then the 3rd night in LYV before going home the last morning.

        thanks

        James

      • Ray Rippel
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 23, 2014
          Good morning,

          "Upper Cathedral Lake (~3.6 miles from Sunrise Camp) Map: http://binged.it/1lop1Da. This is one of my favorite spots on the entire trail. The views of Cathedral Peak are terrific, and the lake itself sports a granite peninsula that juts out into the water like a pier. There are good camping grounds on the south and west sides. My recommendation is that you spend the night here, even if it means you camp early. A few hours exploring the lake will be time well spent. If you can’t stay the night, I’ve always found the serenity of the place perfect for a midday nap.

          Lower Cathedral Lake (~1.5 miles past Upper Cathedral Lake) Map: http://binged.it/1lop95z. This is a little more than a half mile off the trail, but it’s worth an extra few steps. If you decide you must get a little past the upper lake, consider stopping here instead.

          Good hiking, Ray

        • brucelem12
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 23, 2014
            +1 on Ray's excellent suggestion for Upper Cathedral Lake.

            Personally, I'd recommend camping somewhere on the ridge NNW of the lake. There are numerous sites, fabulous views down over both Upper and Lower Lakes, you're away from most other people that tend to cluster near shorelines, your impact is more minimized, and you're not harshing anybody's view of the lake. Downside is you have to walk 5 min to get water, but that's always seemed insignificant to me. If you like exploring cool terrain and views, it's wonderful above there for day hike excursions too!

            Bruce
            RollingTree.com
          • Ray Rippel
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 23, 2014
              Yes! The views from up there are incredible! (Not a good place for sleepwalkers, though.)

            • eric moss
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 23, 2014
                I'm not familiar with the area, so this recommendation is very appreciated.  One question about weather safety -- if a storm rolls in, where would one want to be in relation to that great camping spot?  Is it any better or worse than other spots safety-wise?

                On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 5:32 PM, Ray Rippel ray.rippel@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                Yes! The views from up there are incredible! (Not a good place for sleepwalkers, though.)

              • Bill Cathey
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 23, 2014
                  Both Cathedral lakes are nice, but I believe the OP said he was starting at Tuolumne, so Upper Cathedral Lake would be past the trail to Lower Cathedral Lake on his route.

                  If you like going off-trail (and with that much time), Mildred Lake is a nice alternative. Granite on the West side provides great campsites with views looking down Tenaya Canyon with views of both Clouds Rest and Half Dome. You're right at the base of Tenaya Peak, as well. Once you hit Long Meadow on the JMT, you would horseshoe around Columbia Finger and hike north until it rises up to the drainage at the northeast corner of Mildred Lake.

                  If you wanted, you could exit via the drainage at the southwest corner, which goes south and leads over to the second Sunrise Lake. Then go either East past the third Sunrise Lake, over the saddle, through the Sunrise HSC to the JMT, or go the other way, past the first Sunrise Lake, and on to and over Clouds Rest back to the JMT.

                  bill

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 24, 2014
                    Short answer...Of course low is always safer than higher up on open rock. It's important to evaluate the weather.

                    Long answer...There are certainly much higher / more likely strike points up the ridge from the tent sites. Personally, if lightning looked imminent, I probably would not worry if I was camped lower on the ridge, (some are down fairly low and well below ridgeline), but would move if higher up.

                    Just to state the obvious for the record...of course you have to decide for yourself on degree of risk, given that lightning is to some degree an odds game / somewhat unpredictable in terms of time or place, so if one wants to be as absolutely safe as possible, you'd need to camp as low as possible regardless what the weather seems like when you go to sleep, views be damned, and be well versed in all the currently assumed best practices.

                    Bruce
                    RollingTree.com
                  • dj_ayers
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 25, 2014
                      Perhaps the OP could give more info.  James, which TM trailhead are you starting from:  Cathedral;  Budd Creek;  Nelson Lake;  Rafferty Creek;  or Ireland Creek?
                      Cathedral entry has been discussed by other posters.  I'll only add that Cathedral Lakes camping can be busy on Fri/Sat nights which may not be your cup of tea.  If so, there are a couple of spots on the south side of upper Cathedral Lake west of the peninsula that tend to be passed over by most.  If you head in Cathedral and take the Echo Creek trail instead of the Cloud's Rest trail or the JMT, South Cathedral Creek must be dry by now.  But there are camp sites along Echo Creek further down.  I'd check to see if there is water in Echo Creek before heading that way.

                      If you are heading in from Rafferty or Ireland: Fletcher, Evelyn, and Boothe Lakes all have good camping.  IMO, Vogelsang Pass and the Lewis Creek trail is far more scenic than taking the Fletcher Creek trail.  So Bernice Lake and Florence Creek would be candidates for the 2nd night.  Bernice is very scenic but may be a bit close to Fletcher and far from LYV at ~14.5 mostly downhill miles.  But the short day from Fletcher to Bernice leaves time to climb Volgesang Peak and/or explore the lakes near Bernice.  Or you could head further down Lewis Creek or even to Merced Lake for your 2nd night.  But be aware that camping at Merced Lake is touristy.

                      I haven't done overnight cross-country via Budd Creek or Nelson Lake so I won't comment on 1st night camps spots for either of those.
                    • rnperky@sbcglobal.net
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 25, 2014
                        Lower Carhedral Lake is nice, as is Upper Cathedral Lake. Sunrise Lakes aren't too bad, but off of the JMT and buggy in early season. Truthfully, I don't really care to camp at many places along this stretch, other than Lower Cathedral Lake. LYV is crowded and dirty, Sunrise is too close to the High Sierra Camp, Sunrise Creek has no views, and the Clouds Rest/JMT junction has always had very active and persistent bear activity. There is a ridge between Sunrise Creek and the Clouds Rest Jct that is very nice, but its a dry camp. Pack enough water and you're rewarded with fantastic views of Little Yosemite Valley and the Merced drainage, plus its open and allows a breeze to keep any bugs at bay. Hope that helps a little.
                      • Peter Hirst
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 25, 2014
                          I had a great spot my second night, past Sunrise, above and overlooking Long Meadow