JMT + Cascadia9's = phooey

  • Cindy Liebeck
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 18, 2014
      I did a gear run up Mt. W 3 weeks prior to starting at HI for my JMT hike.

      I wore the Cascadia 9’s on the gear run and, then, on the JMT hike.  The shoes had 22 miles on them from the gear run.

      Both shoes developed a 1.5 inch-long smile-shaped rip by MTR along the mesh near my big toes.  That’s after about 122 miles total.

      I considered bailing to get new shoes.

      Fellow hikers had fishing line, a stout needle and very sticky medical tape of some kind.  After sewing up the smiles and covering the stitches inside and out with the tape, I loosened the laces to the point that the shoes fit like bedroom slippers.  By loosening the laces, I hoped to keep the stress off of the shoe fabric so the rip wouldn’t grow.

      The repair held so I didn’t bail to get new shoes.

      It’s a good thing that I have very robust feet.  I had no blisters or other foot issues in spite of the loose laces, but I never really have foot issues anyway.  I walked very carefully for the rest of the trip.  (I was imagining that I might be using my Tevas to summit Mt. W…)

      In summary, I strongly recommend against using Cascadias for the JMT.  This is the only equipment failure I had on the JMT, but it’s a big one.

      C.

    • Jason Luban
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 18, 2014
        I'm so sorry for your ordeal, and also happy to hear it, as I just gave up my Cascadias in favor of some Le Sportiva Ultra Raptors with that same fear in mind. I leave on September 1.

      • rnperky@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 18, 2014
          One of the hikers I went with on the JMT this year had major issues with his Cascadias breaking down prematurely. It was interesting though, as I'd venture to guess that about %30 of the PCT-ers I ran across this year were wearing them with no issues. I have used the earlier Cascadia models with no issues at all, so I'm wondering if it's just the newer models?
        • Arla Hile
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 19, 2014
            I had over 100 miles of trail running and backpacking on mine (version 9) before leaving for the JMT. About the same place Cindy describes, I did see signs of the shoes starting to wear a little thin, otherwise I thought they were great. I would be very interested in hearing about options to this model.

            Arla

            On Monday, August 18, 2014 7:49 PM, "rnperky@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            One of the hikers I went with on the JMT this year had major issues with his Cascadias breaking down prematurely. It was interesting though, as I'd venture to guess that about %30 of the PCT-ers I ran across this year were wearing them with no issues. I have used the earlier Cascadia models with no issues at all, so I'm wondering if it's just the newer models?

          • km_9830
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 19, 2014
              I just did TM-WP with a 50$ trail runners (New Balance) that I got from Kohls!   That's because I tried it a couple of times with a full pack up/down 3000 elevation on day hikes, and they felt much better than my regular boots.   Pack weight out of MTR was 35lbs.  Zero blisters, total comfort and at the end of the day sometimes even forget to take off the shoes.   My only fear was the durability aspects of it.   I tend to be a rough walker, brushing against rocks and such, and some of the stitches on the upper were cut by these rocks.  It did hold for the whole trip, but it did worry me, because I didn't have any backup other than a flip-flop.   Next time, I will pack sandals that I can hike, or carry a spare pair of trail runners, which I can use as a camp shoe by tying the laces really loosely.
            • skrapp138
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 19, 2014
                I returned my pair of Cascadia 9's to REI after a 10 mile hike - I was totally unimpressed, and all the hype didn't add up. I love Innov8's for dayhikes and La Sportiva's for backpacking...I've had excellent luck with durability and comfort with both brands.
              • Shawn Peterson

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 19, 2014

                    I tend to end up w/ cheap New Balance Trail runners (510's or 610's usually I think?) for hiking just because they seem to be the only thing comfortable for me. By the time a JMT and pre/post hikes are done they are pretty much torn to shreds. What works for me is duct tape slathered in super glue for rip repairs. Holds up for 60-80 miles of JMT like trail, or 10-20 of scrambling. Even less if volcanic rock. Be conscious that the hardened super glue can be abrasive to your feet on the inside of holes, and pad or abrade smooth as needed. I always carry a minimum of 2 - 0.1 oz super glue bottles and plenty of duct tape...resupplies of same every week.

                    Bruce

                    RollingTree.com

                  • Eric Klein

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 20, 2014
                        I hiked about 180 miles on the JMT this year as well as another 200+ miles of running/hiking in my Cascadia 9's and they are still going strong. Normal wear on the soles, nothing major, definitely no signs of failure but they are starting to show signs of wear. I will likely buy another pair when they wear out. I used La Sportiva Raptors on my 2012 JMT, they are still usable as well. I have a pair of Ultra Raptors too which I have only used 2-3 times but they are solid shoes. I have a pair of Cascadia 7's that I don't like as much as the 9's or the sportivas. I like the Cascadias better for running but the Raptor/Ultra Raptor is more stable and more durable, so probably a better choice for most people. The downside for me is that they tend to give me a blister on the heel sometimes, while I have not had a single blister in the Cascadia 9's, even when going 30+ miles in a day. They dry faster but they do let more dirt in. Dirty girl gaiters help keep the dirt out but some does manage to get through the mesh.

                        I have a fairly narrow, low volume foot - both the cascadia and raptors seem to fit me well.

                      • beth.bill
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 21, 2014
                        • 1 Attachment
                        • 133 KB
                        Three of the four in our group through hiked the JMT this year with Cascadia 9s.  Overall we thought the balance of breathability, grip, cushioning and support was excellent for the JMT this year.  However, two of the three of us developed pre-mature wear holes in the mesh in the same location: inside near the ball of the foot where there is a gap in the fabric bonded to the mesh.  The mesh in that location gets worn faster due to natural bending of the shoe.   I'll try to attach a photo.  Luckily, the wear-holes in the mesh made it to WP before having to be repaired.  Overall a great shoe except for this premature wear.
                        -Bill.